Napoleon Outdoor Gas Insert Reviews

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob11

Sep 16, 2007
Anyone have a comment how they like the Napoleon GSS36N Stainless steel Outdoor Gas Insert?
Any Suggestions on a reliable Outdoor Vent-free Gas Insert Model/Brand?

Thx for the reply.
What's the difference between the insert & a fireplace?
Why do you suggest the Heat n Glo unit...is it because of features, reliability??
Since you answered my previous venting question on using a 90 degree venting process, I'll explain what we are doing. Still have the 2 inserts in the house on the lower and main floors (Enviro-Fire Sienna's). Now that we have to rebuild the chimney we are putting an outdoor..."fireplace" on our view deck to tie in the new VERTICAL Venting stack!! So we will vent 2 units and the third is ventless?
As usual Thx for the help

An insert is INSERTED into an existing functional fireplace. A gas "fireplace" is stand alone and can be installed right into a wall by itself.

Yes, it is vent-less, it vents out the hood at the top into the outside, and draws air in the sides I think. Is this deck fairly open? Can't be screened or windowed.

I only suggested the HNG because that's the brand we sell, I don't know anything about the Napoleon. I do know HNG has excellent customer support.

That Napoleon looks pretty cool! (or Hot) ;-) The Mrs. and I keep talking about adding a roof over the back porch and putting a gas fireplace in the outside corner. Elk can likely say for sure, but I'm pretty sure most any gas fireplace can be installed outside if it is in an spot where it is not expected to get directly rained on. In other words, it's ok if it's in a covered area.

Nice thing about the units linked is that (I believe) you can leave these out in the rain like a BBQ.

All the HHT manufacturers reccomend NOT installing any of thier fireplaces "outdoors" unless it was specifically designed for such an application. I belive verbage is being added to manuals which states that the fireplace is an "indoor" applicance. There are many risks to the fireplace outside. Critters nesting, weather (rain, hail, etc...), dust / dirt blowing, extreme humidity in summer, extreme temperatures in winter.

Thx this is good info. On the rooftop deck this fireplace is going to be completely exposed to the elements without a cover. One side does have a 4 foot wall that the unit will be built into. It is possible to build a small cover Since we live in Seattle you know every day is sunny and warm. It's just the other 300 days of the year we have to worry about! The Napoleon is Stainless Steel and says it is for outdoor use but from your postings it seems you are saying do not take that as the complete truth?

I was responding to R & D Guy "but I’m pretty sure most any gas fireplace can be installed outside if it is in an spot where it is not expected to get directly rained on"

I said "unless it was specifically designed for such an application" which is what the GSS36N and Dakota are made for. I think the Dakota has a fairly hefty warranty on all the stainless parts. You could literally just toss it in your back yard and hook it up an LP tank. It could sit there for years and it would be just fine. You would have to level it though for proper drainage I think.

You don't need to make a cover for it. I would read the install instructions to be sure, but I think the Dakota can handle direct rain just fine. I have seen many pictures of it just sitting out on a patio with a small brick enclosure built around it and no shelter above.

jtp10181 said:
I was responding to R & D Guy "but I’m pretty sure most any gas fireplace can be installed outside if it is in an spot where it is not expected to get directly rained on"

I said "unless it was specifically designed for such an application" which is what the GSS36N and Dakota are made for. I think the Dakota has a fairly hefty warranty on all the stainless parts. You could literally just toss it in your back yard and hook it up an LP tank. It could sit there for years and it would be just fine. You would have to level it though for proper drainage I think.

You don't need to make a cover for it. I would read the install instructions to be sure, but I think the Dakota can handle direct rain just fine. I have seen many pictures of it just sitting out on a patio with a small brick enclosure built around it and no shelter above.

True, it's not an ideal condition for any gas fireplace, and I am trying to remember the exact verbage in our manuals, but all but a few fireplace we've designed have been certified as moisture rated which include the method of test outlined in ANSI Z21.88 section 2.9.13, and the splash test outline in 2.13.3 (Thermal Shock) which allows them to be installed in a covered area, and the every increasingly popular master bathroom installation. Speaking of, seems like every time I watch Extreme Home Makeover, they've got one in the master bath. Now there's some year round moisture!

Status
Not open for further replies.