Napoleon Pellet Insert NPI-40 = Problems and more problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kh395269

Mar 27, 2008
CT
Hi,

I purchased a Napoleon Pellet Insert from Zoobler back last March 2008 and had it shipped to me in April 2008. We cleaned our fireplace and properly installed per specs with a brand new stainless steel liner in September 2008. I have been using this stove only at night since that date and have burned maybe 2 1/2/ tons of pellets. I have cleaned daily and thoroughly cleaned twice.

I have had nothing but problems with this stove and the incredibly poor customer service and attitude from the manufacturer. I caution anyone that buys a Napoleon product should truly think twice about their purchase.

To complicate matters, any replacement parts I purchase under warranty have to be purchased from the original seller which for me is located in ID and I am in CT, and then we have to send the bad part back to await a possible credit after 2-3 months. I end up eating all shipping and installing for free.

Here are the SEVERAL problems that I have been having with this stove:

1.) A wire randomly came loose related to the auger that we fixed.
2.) We needed to replace the exhaust fan. The bearings were making an unbearable, screaming noise. It was actually painful to listen to. To the naked eye, after this was apart, we were able to see that the impellars on the fan itself were actually backwards. We have pictures of this problem. It was not fully exhausting the stove and was actually causing our stove to run hotter than it should have been. I think this could have been a huge, dangerous hazard.
3.) We recently replaced the convection fan which was also making an intermittent, very annoying noise. I have just shipped the old one back, pending credit on my credit card.
4.) The variable speed blower dial blew and had to be replaced
5.) The latest problem is that the brand new convection fan (just installed a week ago) is now making more noise, yet again and I am going to have to replace that as well. (3 bad fans in less than one season)

I requested that the manufacture remove it's defective stove and refund my money. Here was their response:

The Presidents Limited Lifetime Warranty covers manufacturing defects in material & workmanship of the parts installed on the fireplace.
Therefore, if there is a defective part influencing the inserts operation, this can be replaced under the terms of the warranty & the appropriate coverage can be provided.
The warranty does not extend to the replacement of an entire stove, as it is not possible for every single component in an insert to be defective.
The warranty also does not extend to issues that arise from incorrect installation, operation, or lack of maintenance.
While we understand that several components have already been replaced for what are claimed to be manufacturing defects, there is no evidence to suggest this until the components are sent back for QA to examine.

They deny that they even have a problem depite my complaints and all the others on the internet about their fans. When I wrote to them directly one time, they said I needed to speak with the dealer only and that the problems were probably caused by my own neglect, or having a pet in the home??? You could eat off this stove it has been kept so clean, how ridiculous!!!

Since this response, I requested that they extend my warranty for another full year "if they believe that there are no defects in their stoves." Their response was:

Your request was denied but they did advise that every electrical replacement part does have a 90 day warranty available on it.

What good does that do me when the season is almost over and my stove won't be run until next season? Does anyone know what kind of recourse I can have on this? Should I just contact my Attorney General's office and report? Has anyone that has used this for the season had a good experience with this stove? Here I was trying to save $$$, and instead I feel like I am stuck with a $2k pile of worthless junk. Thanks. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.