National unplug day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Will you unplug for 24?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northwoodneil

Feeling the Heat
Feb 10, 2012
Land of Cheese
No internet or cell phone for 24hrs starting at midnight?? How about the rest of you, can you go a full day unhooked? Gonna' be easy for me, heading north where I don't have internet and you have to drive to town to use your cell phone. Heck I think they fire up a generator just to get the sun started.;lol

Reactions: save$
Hey, are we missing spell check on this updated site or am I not seeing it? Some of us (me) just don't spel too gud.:confused:

Webbie says use the spellcheck in your browser or download one. This forum does not have one.

Hell no I'm not unplugging. Unless I get an invite. to go north of 8.

North of 8, they tell me, still has 10" of ice on the lake. No pellet stove there back to cord wood. The dogs seen me drag out my tote I take north and haven't left my side since. So no room in the truck for ya this time smoke.

Neil, your making me jealous. Sounds like your heading to a place similar to where I go in Northern Maine. Last 35 miles are dirt. Make our own 'tricity. Heat with wood. Make sure to bring all the beer you need cause the nearest store is 25 miles and expensive.

Phone and TV, no problem, I can live without them. I can also go without the internet if I were to go on vacation or someplace where it's not available (not sure where that is); but if I have it available and not use, that' an awful temptation. I don't think I would bet on myself.

Tom C.

Only the last 8 miles are gravel and town is only 12 miles away. But there is a little tavern a mile away, owned by a mom and pop in there 80's. Like going to grammas for beer (shorties are a buck and luck have I've got a $20 in my wallet;))

Reactions: smoke show
Whats the point .. ??

Only the last 8 miles are gravel and town is only 12 miles away. But there is a little tavern a mile away, owned by a mom and pop in there 80's. Like going to grammas for beer (shorties are a buck and luck have I've got a $20 in my wallet;))
Keep talkin, I might hunt you down. ;lol

We're on a pond 1 mile X 3/4 mile. Nearest neighbor is 7 miles away.

Hey, are we missing spell check on this updated site or am I not seeing it? Some of us (me) just don't spel too gud.:confused:
This forum looks and behaves differently on a iPad (tablet) than it does on a standard computer. Not a thing to help with a reply using the tablet

Neil, your making me jealous. Sounds like your heading to a place similar to where I go in Northern Maine. Last 35 miles are dirt. Make our own 'tricity. Heat with wood. Make sure to bring all the beer you need cause the nearest store is 25 miles and expensive.

Big Machias Lake, per chance?

These brainiacs that think of this stuff wait their whole lives for things like cell phones and computers and then they invent stupid days like "Unplug Day". I march to the beat of my own drum. If I want, I shut it off and if I don't... I don't. I don't wait for some nerd with nothing better to do to invent a day to do or not do something. They all should get a life,

When I was a kid, we didn't have tv, our phone was a "part line", and people didn't live nearly as long as they do now. I like what I have now and am not likly to try some knuckle head challenge. That's like not taking your prescription medication just to see what it was like before they were available.

I run my business with a cellphone... work work for me.

Ahh, back from being unpluged. No phone, no TV, no internet. I survived just fine on beer, bacon, and the backwoods. The ice went out on Thursday with the rain they tell me. Spring is coming even in the snow belt.

I'll be honest. I cheated. Had to check the forums here and the bass fishing site. But for most of the day it was wind and water for me and the boy. Lite the charcoal grill when we came home and did some burgers and dogs. Sat out till dark burning up the sticks and branches from the yard. Roasted a few marshmellows and downed a few brews. Life is good!

Did more yard work and have more still to do. I also managed to clear out a spot in the garage so I can cut up some pine boards. Now maybe tomorrow afternoon I can get a few ripped up for some storm window frames, the morning is already shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.