Natural Gas - Monitor, Toyotomi, other brands?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gangsplatt

Mar 26, 2008
Plattsburgh, NY
NY State Electric & Gas is running gas lines to the homes in my neighborhood. My current heating sources consist of wood, electric baseboard, and K1 Monitor MP441. I have no "central" heating system i.e. boiler or furnace. In order to qualify for the promo NYSEG is running which is free gas line first 100' and $200 rebate (on space heaters) I need to connect a gas appliance within three months.

My wood heat sources are untouchable, I don't want to add a gas stove to replace my woodstove. Thus my only real option is replacing my kerosene monitor with a natural gas version. Looks like I can get a Monitor GF3800 for about $1400. The small space/wall heaters are not really an option for me either, so with that does anybody have any experience with Monitor or Toyotomi or even some other brand that is affordable (no more then $1400), dependable and rated for about 1500 sq. feet?

gangsplatt said:
NY State Electric & Gas is running gas lines to the homes in my neighborhood. My current heating sources consist of wood, electric baseboard, and K1 Monitor MP441. I have no "central" heating system i.e. boiler or furnace. In order to qualify for the promo NYSEG is running which is free gas line first 100' and $200 rebate (on space heaters) I need to connect a gas appliance within three months.

My wood heat sources are untouchable, I don't want to add a gas stove to replace my woodstove. Thus my only real option is replacing my kerosene monitor with a natural gas version. Looks like I can get a Monitor GF3800 for about $1400. The small space/wall heaters are not really an option for me either, so with that does anybody have any experience with Monitor or Toyotomi or even some other brand that is affordable (no more then $1400), dependable and rated for about 1500 sq. feet?

Well since you say NYSEG its safe to say that you are outside the city and enjoying being ***** by the horrid electric rates that we enjoy. If you need to get "Something" gas driven to get hooked up and want to do it on the cheap how about a gas clothes dryer? They aren't too badly priced and offer a lot better bang for the buck than electric when you are dealing with NY State Extortion & Graft for a supplier. Here is a link for you though I can't vouch for his validity. http://www.alsheating.com/ If you are looking at heating units give Begore's Tools Plus out on rt 11 in Moores Forks a ring. They have a great reputation. Tractor supply has some decent smaller wall mount gas units too but I think you can buy them cheaper on Ebay.
BTW can you see the nice new forrest of windmills from your house? Looks like something out of Alice In Wonderland doesn't it? Luckily from my place its covered by my hedge row on the West side so we can pretend they aren't there. Too bad they aren't painted some more camoflaged color than white. Too bad also that ( last I heard) all that power just like the co gen plant at Falcon is all going to good old NYC. May be they will take it into their hearts to sell some of it back to us at inflated rates, no wait a minute thats what they do now, duhhh.

Thanks I'll check out Begore's. Seems like everything is in Mooers these days, bought my tractor from Dragoon's, almost bought a stove through Heatwave, now Begore's.

I do live outside the city, I'm in Morrisonville. Just off Rand Hill Rd. I can't see the windmills from my house but I work at the school in Beekmantown and have seen them in my traverses. Actually another view is coming back to the NY side from the ferry. I was heading to Malone one day and took 190 to the 190 extension that connects to the Brainerdsville Rd and you are driving right next to those monsters, never realized how HUGE they were. Interesting info about us not getting the electricity, yet not surprising. I vaguely remember getting something from NYSEG stating you can pay $5 extra a month to get some percentage of electricity that is produced by windmills.

Hi neighbors

Small world, I am in Saranac on the Ryan Road.

I have been thinking about the gas deal from NYSEG. What rate for gas did you get and what is the monthly service charge?

BTW, the wind mill are not generating power yet. They are spinning to keep them lubed but the power grid for them is not complete yet. When complete they are going to pour the power into the main line that runs east from the seaway dams.

Eric,

I have to be honest with you I'm not sure of the monthly charge or the rate. Hopefully it will be cheaper then using my Kerosene monitor :ahhh: and electric baseboards (also heat with wood and try to use that as much as possible and the electric is just for really cold days in the bedrooms and the monitor is used when its both really cold or just not cold enough to get the wood stove cranking), I'm sure it will be more cost effective compared to kerosene and electric heat.. Eventually as my electric water heater gets old and my dryer dies I'd like to change those appliances to gas versions.

If you want specifics the guy to contact is Jorgen Huising, he's the marketing/sales guy in charge of the new gas installs out of the Plattsburgh office. Since this project started over here in the Pine Ridge, Kimberly area I haven't been able to actually talk to him but now you've got me interested so maybe I'll try and get in touch with him myself if I find anything out I'll let you know.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.