NC-30 for the home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

altspacen

Oct 28, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Hey hearth.com people!

After a lot of lurking, and more reading, and even more lurking, and then some excel spreadsheets, I have finally pulled the trigger on my stove! Replacing my old Montgomery Wards parlor stove from the 70's/80's and getting an Englander NC-30. I must have looked at all kinds of stoves in various price ranges before I decided on this one. My home layout is a little odd given its a really long rancher and the stove is at one end, but I know that if the old parlor stove could heat the main area of the house, then the new stove should be able to do the same thing and with much less wood.

I wanted to extend my thanks to all of the people on the forum that have posted threads for me to go through with all kinds of information to help make informed decisions for this new combustion device in my home. Next on the list will be an insert to either replace the slammer timberline that I have in the basement, or for the masonry fireplace that is in the living room. Trying to find an insert that the wife wanted in our budget along with the heating requirement for the house wasn't happening so we instead decided to replace the freestanding stove that we use to heat the main area of the house.

I am so excited and will take delivery of the stove later this month and schedule install with the contractor that does my cleanings. The abundance of information that's available through the forums here was the greatest tool to utilize. Knowing that most any stove that was large enough would work for my space, but making sure to have a good relationship with the installer/seller in case of an issue during the heating season was also something to take into consideration.

I don't want to be that guy that says they'll take pictures after the install and report back and not follow through, I've set alerts on my calendar to make sure that I update this post in the future for a before and after.

If anyone has recommendations as far as inserts go, either replacement for the Timberline slammer in my basement masonry chimney (basement is 1200sqft with attached garage +625) or for the upstairs (wife wants a flush mount and I have 2500sqft of house on a single floor), I'll gladly put them on the future list.

Again, thanks to everyone that has posted here with questions, and to everyone else that has posted here with answers.

kind of made the same decision recently, after reading all the reviews and stuff. have an old stove thats getting cracked and leaky. but i was looking at the equivalent summers heat stove for 2400sq feet (england brand too) and same price as home depot. but they had them in stock, and had a few different features, bit taller(was always on my knees on the old one, taller stove has bigger ash pan. also bit bigger piece 22 inches instead of 21, auto set back feature too. im sure if you got the other one its not a big deal but for anyone looking still i feel like its a better deal and easier install believe the clearance tighter too

cant comment on the heat yet because only on second break in burn, we are having freak hot weather now, you like when you buy a new snow blower and never snows again, my luck, lol

cant comment on the heat yet because only on second break in burn, we are having freak hot weather now, you like when you buy a new snow blower and never snows again, my luck, lol

I thought that only happened to me.

East coast is getting the flipside of our weather. We dropped about 20 degrees a couple days ago and it looks like that is the end of warm temps.

hope so, i dont like heat much. this sat supposed to be low 80s, aug weather. normally 50s and 60s for highs in sep and alot of times snow by holloween.
normally start bring wood in and stuff by now been too hot to even sit outside