NC13 cruising. At 650 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Tonight I loaded her up with 2 large pine and 1 medium maple. After 30-40 min she's cruising at 650 with a good light show. The mag thermo on the single wall reads 300. I spoke with the fine guys at the factory earlier this year about temps and they said 550 is the sweet spot but 600+ is ok. He also says when you get the whispy flames the stove is burnin great and efficient. My question is my stoves get these great burns at higher temps 600+. Now 650 really doesn't get me too concerned but it is higher than the factory thought for cruising temps. Does anyone see a problem with my stove operation? The air is just about closed all the way maybe an 1/8 in of travel left.

ckarotka said:
Tonight I loaded her up with 2 large pine and 1 medium maple. After 30-40 min she's cruising at 650 with a good light show. The mag thermo on the single wall reads 300. I spoke with the fine guys at the factory earlier this year about temps and they said 550 is the sweet spot but 600+ is ok. He also says when you get the whispy flames the stove is burnin great and efficient. My question is my stoves get these great burns at higher temps 600+. Now 650 really doesn't get me too concerned but it is higher than the factory thought for cruising temps. Does anyone see a problem with my stove operation? The air is just about closed all the way maybe an 1/8 in of travel left.

Seems fine to me.

My rule of thumb is 750, pay attention. 800 pay closer attention. 850 shut down air and turn up blower all the way. Cruising past 900 or glowing, continue with all of the above and point every fan that you have at the stove. I have never had the stove glowing, but I have surpassed 850 once or twice. Live and learn.

I don't think your temps are anything to worry about , sounds like a normal burn to me . I'm burning the 30-nc and start cutting the air back at 500 stove top and as the secondaries start kicking in the temps usually climb up around 650 - 700 . At that point i usually turn the stove fan on and it drops the stove top temp about 100 degrees pretty quick. If you want to run the stove a little cooler just start cutting the air back around 400.

Thanks. The only thing I don't like about running that hot is the quicker burn times. The fuel is dry, around 17-20%. To keep it from smoking at lower flue temps the stove has got to be 600+. Maybe when the cold weather comes and the draft increaes I will get enough pull to run at 550 with no smoke.

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
My rule of thumb is 750, pay attention. 800 pay closer attention. 850 shut down air and turn up blower all the way. Cruising past 900 or glowing, continue with all of the above and point every fan that you have at the stove. I have never had the stove glowing, but I have surpassed 850 once or twice. Live and learn.

That's about my take on it. My 30 likes to run at 750. I've seen it at 850 a few times, but try to keep it below that. I'd be freaked out if I saw it glow.

Matt

Mine is at 600 right now. I put a load on and work the air down in 1/4's to 550 and then close off all the way. I notice 600-650 are the perfect temps it runs up to and then settles to a 550 cruise. I have noticed quicker burn times right now too. I want to see what happens when it gets colder also.

Status
Not open for further replies.