NC30 or Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toofless

Feb 27, 2011
Rocky Mountains
Hi everyone. Great site.

I'm considering either a NC30 or a PE Summit. House is 2000 sq ft and fairly open with lots of vertical space. Winters can be pretty cold here with lots of single digits above and below zero with some occaisional -20s. I have a 6" flue, about 22' of class A chimney enclosed in a framed chase. I plan to burn 24/7.

With the good reviews I see on the NC30, it's hard to ignore the low cost. Steel stove with a 3 cu ft fire box seems like a good heater. But I like the Summit a lot. Seems like a very well made stove that can throw serious heat.

I'm seeking input on which would be better if there really is such a thing. I have to say if the 30 will do the job I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of the Summit. But if the Summit is capable of significantly more heat output I'll seriously consider it.

So let's hear it.

toofless said:
Hi everyone. Great site.

I'm considering either a NC30 or a PE Summit. House is 2000 sq ft and fairly open with lots of vertical space. Winters can be pretty cold here with lots of single digits above and below zero with some occaisional -20s. I have a 6" flue, about 22' of class A chimney enclosed in a framed chase. I plan to burn 24/7.

With the good reviews I see on the NC30, it's hard to ignore the low cost. Steel stove with a 3 cu ft fire box seems like a good heater. But I like the Summit a lot. Seems like a very well made stove that can throw serious heat.

I'm seeking input on which would be better if there really is such a thing. I have to say if the 30 will do the job I have a hard time justifying the extra cost of the Summit. But if the Summit is capable of significantly more heat output I'll seriously consider it.

So let's hear it.

From what I've read, I think the 30 actually throws a little more heat. At the very least they will heat about the same.

Don't think you could go wrong either way. I do like the red summit. Also like the end of season price on the 30.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have a 30, and would love to get the cast enclosed version of the steel PEs for the cabin.

Matt

Both will probably do the job well but I think the NC30 will throw a little more radiant heat than the Summit which may be better for your open floor plan.

Oh hi,

I am a new 4 month old Summit owner. I live in Santa Cruz mountains in a typical poorly insulted 2500 single level rectangular house. I bought the biggest stove that would fit in the brick fireplace. I am burning CA oak and madrone. Today is about as cold as it gets around here at 32F. Because of the proximity to the ocean, we have damp cold...which makes it feel colder than it is. (I grew up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, I know cold)

I have added some fans to move air through the rectangle house. I have not used the furnace this year, but at the far end of the house we would use an electric room heater once and a while.

The thing I like about the Summit is the variable speed fan (which is running a full right now) and how well it maintains heat through-out the night. Typically load it with 3 big splits at 10 PM and get up around 6:30am. I think the extended burn technology gizmo must help. The baffle removes easily for chimney cleaning and the glass stays clean.

The bedroom this morning was at 63F (tall ceiling is insulted, two outside walls are not insulted, fan moves heat into the room from the adjacent room where the fireplace is). Outside is 33F

I hope this helps. I don't know the cost difference, but given you will live with the stove a long time, the cost difference amortized over time must be small. However, a stove that causes frustration is something you'll live with year over year. I guess the one thing I would change on the Summit is swapping the side for the blower air intake. The issue is the fireplace tools are on the left side since the door opens from left to right. Thus I can just grab the poker and poke away. However the air intake is on that side, so any ash on the poker may get sucked in when I put the poker back in the stand.

I am happy with my purchase and would recommend it.

-Glen

If you think you're going to stuff the stove full or be a little careless loading it at times, the Summit has a stainless steel baffle while the 30 has the more fragile ceramic fiber boards with burn tubes. However, the price difference will buy a lot of replacement boards for the 30!

Oh hi,

After reading about the NC 30, it does seem like a nice stove, Also I misunderstood, I assume you are going free standing, my Summit is an insert. I see the NC30 can take 20" logs...thats a bonus. I doubt the Summit would put out more heat.

About this comment...

"....little careless loading it at times, the Summit has a stainless steel baffle ...."

I use a mini rake like thingy for stirring the coals, and I tend to hit the baffle with it, especially when there are a a lot of coals in it.

-Glen

THe 30 is really low to the floor,im thinking of elevating it somehow, id like to bring it up about a foot.From the pictures iv seen, seems like the summit is higher. The 30 does throw a lot of radiant heat though,and it has a great light show. Its a great price as well this time of year.

From a maintenance point of view:
The baffle would be a lot quicker and easier to remove on the Summit, which can really speed up chimney cleaning.
If your chimney comes straight down through the ceiling to the stove all you have to do is remove the baffle, close the door then sweep the soot into the stove.
Wait till the dust settles, then open the door, lay a sheet of newspaper over top of the soot, re-install the baffle.
Build your next fire on top of the soot and newspaper.
The newspaper serves to keep your hands clean while putting the baffle back.

IMHO, both stoves are very good. I am considering a Summit Classic for an install of mine. Having said that, here are my thoughts on the stoves:

Both are steel stoves and look like steel stoves - not a problem, but the reason I am looking at the Summit Classic is to get a great all steel stove that's dressed-up a bit more.

I like the N-S loading of the PE stoves. Brother Bart will correct me, but I think the design intent of the NC 30 is for E-W loading, but some load it N-S.

Hands down, the NC 30 is one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

Good luck,
Bill

Jimbob said:
From a maintenance point of view:
The baffle would be a lot quicker and easier to remove on the Summit, which can really speed up chimney cleaning.
If your chimney comes straight down through the ceiling to the stove all you have to do is remove the baffle, close the door then sweep the soot into the stove.
Wait till the dust settles, then open the door, lay a sheet of newspaper over top of the soot, re-install the baffle.
Build your next fire on top of the soot and newspaper.
The newspaper serves to keep your hands clean while putting the baffle back.

Correction. One little screw, drop the front tube and the baffle boards slide right out. Then brush the crud into the 30. No grunting, groaning lifting the baffle and replacing that gasket in the back of the Summit baffle. :cheese:

Ah, I forgot to mention the baffle gasket ($3) :red:
That "one little screw" you mention could be a big headache if it seizes in place.
Glad to hear the 30 is almost as easy as the Summit when it comes to maintenance.... :p
It's odd that more people don't remove the baffle (on either stove) to sweep the chimney.
I only saw an Englander once as they aren't common around here, it looked like it was built fairly heavy. :)
If there is a big difference in price, the 30 would be a better bang for the buck.

One thing im having a hard time with,the 30 has a fairly long inside door catch,which can sneak in behind your glove cuff and burn your forearm when reloading ,im using leather gloves for loading but not the long welding kind. After 2 days burning i got two nasty burns,one each day. Guess il have to get a pair of long cuff welding gloves for this stove.

Nc 30 burn tube screw, New in Aug. Burning 24/7 since later part of Sept. Cleaned flue a week a ago no problem with screws. Maybe 2 cups of crud about 15 ft flue. 2k split ranch except for the the sub zero temps gas furnace not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.