NC30 overfire temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigFir

Burning Hunk
Sep 22, 2015
Kamloops BC
I was reading the manual for my Timber ridge ( Englander NC30) and it says overfire occurs when the flue collar turns red...... I have been up to 800f with no signs of distress so far. Did I miss the temp in the manual somewhere?
Has anyone had their collar glowing?

No glowing yet but I've certainly melted the inside of the stove. The airwash plate is really thin and takes a beating. Don't leave her on full throttle during warm up.

Also, all of my paint is black. Seems overfired stoves get those white/gray areas in the middle of the top.

Standard advice for overfire temp from all manufacturers is 800 degrees stove top temp measured at the hottest place is the red line.

Thanks HB, was just curious......

I have a hard time not hitting 800f, gotta pay attention at reload or it will go nuclear! Nothing glows at 800f!

First verify the thermometer is reading correctly. If ye, try larger, thicker splits and shut down the air to the fire earlier. If that doesn't work try blocking off the boost air with magnets and consider a flue damper in the stove pipe.

Its not that bad BG, all I mean is if I was to wait too long before shutting down it will take off. Have it fairly under control now, after a full seasons practice of course. The new SS liner has improved the performance for this year, and the -15c this morning has provided unreal draft!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, nippy this morning throughout the NW.

I have found the NC30 to be very controllable. I can almost always snuff the fire by shutting the air down. I assumed that BigFir just forgot to turn it down and it got a little too warm before he remembered. The NC30 does heat up really fast with all of those air sources blowing into the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.