Necessary to take baffle out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stocker

Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2010
Northwest Indiana
Getting ready to do first full sweep on a super 27 model and was wondering if it is necessary to take out the baffle and if and when we do, should the gasket get replaced? Only asking because the manual said to replace gasket if you remove baffle but they are pretty expensive (so my stove guy says) to buy but I have read on here that one can be made out of the rope gaskets so what is the right thing to do?

I am not familiar with your stove. I have removed the baffle once, there was nothing interesting happening up top after 2 years, so no need to bother doing it again. You can also get long flexible brushes that could clean up there. For my stove, there wasn't a need, guess its pretty clean burning.

Might want to do it once just to see how your stove behaved and if there is a reason to do it again. But I sure wouldnt be in a hurry to do it.

Yes remove the baffle. The gasket is cheap, something like 3 bucks. Or you can make your own more permanent gasket out of some 3/8" braided gasket rope.

Thanks, thats what I thought. I just didn't want any damage done to it while cleaning down the pipe.

You won't damage the baffle. But cleaning the stove is sooo much easier with it out.

Lots of PE chimney cleaning stories here over the years. Yes pull the baffle. Yes have a new baffle gasket ready. Or like BG says, make a new one. And don't be surprised that the baffle is heavy.

+2 take the baffle out. Once the chimney is swept, wire brush your firebox welds and inspect integrity.

Thanks, I sure will. Just got done reading some other posts about cracks so its gonna be a done deal as soon as I get some days off to do it. Anything else I should look for? This was the first winter using it so hopefully I won't have any issues with integrity...

Status
Not open for further replies.