Need A Grate? First Burn Question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puknutz

Hearth Supporter
Feb 23, 2009
Southern Maryland
OK, It was about 10-15 degrees last night and got 14" of snow a few days ago in So. Maryland. I am in the process of getting the Napoleon 1100 corner install completed (pics will follow), so the weather is a big tease for getting it burning. I hope to have my first burn this weekend, but it is supposed to be 60 degrees. Go Figure!
Anyway, 2 questions I have thought about during my perusing the forums.
1) Do I need a raised steel grate for my stove?
2) Should I do my first burn outside to minimize the smell everyone talks about?

Any thoughts are always appreciated!

No need for an additional grate in the stove. Use it as it comes. If you're installing it yourself and it's going to be 60 outside, it's fine to stick about 6 ft of pipe on the stove and light off a fire or two outside to burn off the fresh oils and paint smell. If it's being pro installed and they want to get it hooked up, just open up all the nearby windows and fire it up.

I'd just go ahead and install it and be done with it. Yes, there are some smelly fumes during the curing of the finish, but it ain't all that bad if you can get some decent ventilation going. 2 or 3 fires and it's a done deal, usually. Rick

EDIT To Add: Ditto on the grate ixnay.

Status
Not open for further replies.