Need a little guidance on my EKO plans - getting closer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stee6043

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2008
West Michigan
I've got the cash this week and am planning to order my EKO 40 next week! Christmas comes early. I've been reading and reading on this site. I've learned a lot. My current plan is to couple the EKO 40 to an HX for my forced air furnace and (2) 500 gallon propane tanks for storage, piped in parallel, stacked. I've got a BOM from Cozy Heat with all of the expansion tanks and gear that they propose I need. My question is more on the control side at this point.

The EKO controller has the ability to control the main circulator pump and a mixing valve. But that's it. If I use only what comes with the EKO will I not be running all of my hot water supply through the HX in my furnace even when I'm charging the tanks and have no demand on the heat zone? It seems like I need to add more controls to stop the flow through the HX and direct it all to the tanks when the house is up to temp, correct?

My BOM from Cozy includes a main circ pump as well as a second circ pump for the storage tanks. Can I control both with the EKO? I have done some searches but it seems like most people have oil fired burners here instead of a forced air setup. I feel like the minority! The schematics are always just a touch different than what I'm looking for.

Last question - Is it possible to use a new room thermostat installed for the boiler operation to both control when water flows through the HX (vs when it goes to storage) as well as kick on the fan of my forced air furnace? I would think "ON" should turn on my forced air furnance fan as well as direct hot water towards the HX. When it's off and the boiler is still burning the water should all go to storage. Seems simple but I can't get my mind around controlling this with the EKO and only two outputs.

One thousand appreciations for any help here.

I have a eko set up from Dave as well and he told me by using the 2 different size pumps it will charge the tanks. He also told me water will always flow thru the heat exchanger in the forced air furnace and helps to keep the constant temps in the duct. I am using a extra thermostat next to my forced air thermostat to just turn on my fan on my forced air furnace . I am a little confused on the whole set up so I am going to leaddogs to lay my hands on his system and take alot of photos to help me with my install.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.