Need a little help ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwire99

Feb 22, 2015
Elkin nc
hello my name is Cody I'm looking to put a wood stove in my house I'm limited to were I have to put it it will be close to a wall. The back of the stove will be hitting a block wall with paneling and the side of the stove there will be a kitchen counter that's faced with paneling I only about a 36 x 36 space to put the stove in what's the best thing to do for wall protection or do I need it I'm looking at putting this stove in http://m.northerntool.com/products/shop~tools~product_200339109_200339109

can you put a diagram of your floor plan ,sq footage of house ,how well insulated it is.it sounds like a very tight fit?

A picture of the intended location would help immensely as well.

Read the manual and the clearances to combustible specs. That stove needs 22" clearance on each side plus 11" from the rear of the stove. So, the width of the stove is 17.5", then add 2 x 22" and you'll need a 62" wide opening.

The good news for the sides is that you can reduce that by building a metal or durock heat barrier that is offset from each wall by 1" and is open at the bottom so cool air can flow between the barrier and the side walls. You can do the same thing at the back and that should (you need to check code) reduce your set backs to 6" on each side and back.

If the stove is 34" deep, you need a 6" space behind plus 18" floor protection in front. You don't have enough room according to my quick numbers if your space is 36". If you have a block wall to the rear and nothing else, inside or outside, then you can push the stove in closer but you will have to check codes as that would be exceptionally rare.

Trying to make clearances tighter than that is endangering everyone who is in the house.

You may want to research a little on this. Their are other stoves that would work in that space. If budget is a big concern check out menards or HD online I sure I saw menards had a stove that would fit better for a good price

I suggest looking for a different spot as 36" by 36" will hardly be enough for a decent size stove. A low clearance stove has a side clearance of ~10" each, which means your stove can only be ~16" wide. A low rear clearance is ~5". If the 36" also include the hearth in front of it you need to leave at least another 16" of space. Thus, 36" minus 5" minus 16" you are looking at a stove that would only be 15" deep (and 16" wide). Such a stove will be so small that it won't be really worthwhile installing if the goal is to make a dent in the heating bill. Take a look at the Jotul Black Bear: jotul.com/us/products/stoves/jotul-f-118-cb-black-bear Even with heat shields and wall protection I don't think it will fit at 12.5" side clearance and 13.5" width and that is a very narrow but deep stove.

Be also aware that a stove needs to mention the option of adding wall shields in its manual in order for those to reduce clearances. If in doubt always ask the manufacturer and check with your local building inspector. For an unlisted stove: minimum clearance with appropriate wall shield is 12" per NFPA 211.

Last edited:
For an unlisted stove minimum clearance with appropriate wall shield is 12" per NFPA 211.
OK, didn't see that it was unlisted.

Don't know if it is unlisted; the link just gets me to the Northern Tool main website. It was meant as a general comment in case the OP is also looking at unlisted stoves.

I think it's a Vogelzang Durango High-Efficiency Wood Stove with Blower — Model# TR008

I like the most recent review: "almost every part of this stove has fallen apart, witihin the 2nd year. Beings we were dumb enough to buy it towards the end of winter, the next year when it started falling apart we were told it was not under warranty. Save your money don't buy this."

Reactions: Osagebndr
Yeah now that I saw the review not a good choice . Why don't you give us a layout if your home . The more info the folks here have the better direction they can guide you in. A wood stove is an investment, even on a tight budget it can be made with great success

Good advice being given here. The current plan is not too realistic for a wood burning stove. That makes me concerned about the budget as well. The chimney system can not be cheapened by a lot. It is important safety infrastructure that needs to be done correctly. The stove is going to contain a very hot fire in the home. It needs to be installed correctly, honoring clearances not only for regular running, but to protect your home and family if something goes wrong. Not all stoves can reduce clearances using a wall shield and none can reduce them to less than 12" unless the manufacturer has explicitly tested the stove for those clearances. This will narrow down the choices a lot. Also, some stoves have high hearth insulation requirements. That needs to be planned for if it's the case.

Reactions: Osagebndr
Also an old stove will need more clearances than a new on with heat shields ( mine did) so be careful what your considering installing . Checkout menards as they are having a sale on some of their smaller stoves and their chimney setups are very affordable

Status
Not open for further replies.