Need a mantel guard suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buckstove

Oct 25, 2010
NC
Needing a heat deflecting to reduce clearances. Have not built my mantel yet so building around a heat shield if I had to would not be a problem. My clearance call for 30" above top of unit. Wife doesn't like the way this would look so I'm looking for something to reduce the clearance by 5 or 8 inches would be perfect. Wondering how much the clearance would be reduced by a bent piece of sheet metal attached to ZC cabinet have access to all the sheet metal I need so that is not a problem. If any one has pics of theirs that would be great. Thanks in advance

Your stove manual should tell you what the clearances are with a mantel shield. Honestly I think that if the mantle isn't there yet then you should put it where it is above the clearance line. Some people get used to them but I think if you can avoid it do that. I think your wife will like the look of a higher mantle better than a lower one with sheet metal and spacers attached to it. Or is it possible to have a non combustable mantle like brick or stone? If so then you can put it where you want and forget about the clearance issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.