Need a new BBQ grill

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I am a proud cheap-son-of-a-groan and try to stretch out my investments in tools, stuff, whatever. I do this by learning how things work, maintaining them, and repairing them if it is cost effective to do so. I think I have milked my $99 Sunbeam propane grill to it's limits and want to get a new grill. I have replaced the burner, grill and lavarock a couple times but am looking for a slightly different design.

My current burner allows jets of propane to shoot past the lavarock briquettes and scorch my meat. It didn't used to do this - I think it is a sign the burner element has opened up via rust or other decomposition and changed it from a small blue flame to a longer blue/yellow flame. I think I'd rather get a grill that uses some method of shielding the meat from direct flame...I vaguely recall seeing grills that have a baffle or plate over the burner element? I haven't even looked att he store yet, just thinking about it following a ruined steak the other night.

I don't want an expensive unit....I know some folks buy stainless steel and all that. I don't nee that. Anybody buy a grill lately with some advice?

I have a Weber gas BBQ grill i bought over 8 years ago and haven't replaced 1 part on the grill to date and still looks and works like new .( stays out side with the Weber cover )

I think that says it best when it come to "you get what you pay for".
I have a friend that buys the cheap $125. style grills and had bought 5 in the last 9 years so if you figure the cost the "cheap" grill, its the one that cost the most and the quality grill cost less.

Agreed spike. My in-laws buy a new cheap grille every two years. I bought one good grill ten years ago. This past summer was the first time I had to replace anything on it. (The burner cost me about $50.) Still less than a new cheap grille. Its made out of all stainless steel, brass, or aluminum. Nothing to rust or corrode in that mix.

Eric

Weber here, too. Paid $350 eight summers ago. Haven't had to replace any parts. Doesn't look like we will have to next year either. Cooks like a dream, you have to try really hard to burn anything. We winter her in the shed.

I have a Weber as well, Got the Genesis Silver "C" with the NG option, but it about 5 years ago, does not have the enclosed cart stowage area as they show on their website now, its all open under their. Have had no problems with it
http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/grill/2005/gas/gg_gen_s.aspx

You can make it out on the deck in this pic, notice the NG line coming from the house, got the fitting a little far from the deck right now, had it installed that way on purpose, eventually a bigger deck will be put in there

Attachments

• wood2.JPG
    wood2.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 458
Cheapo grill after cheapo grill; been there, done that....

I agree that you should spend a bit more up front and get better quality to start. Look for a model that puts the quality where it counts. All the stainless trim is nice, but doesn't really do much for function. I would look for brass, stainless or cast burners with a minimum of a ten year warranty. Also, look at all the things you have replaced on the cheapo in the past and find a new grill that has the quality built into those areas.

My grill is used year round, several times per week and holds up well.

Gas? Awww...that's not really BBQ... more like frying outside on a grate ! :) I got a $50 Webber 10 years ago and it's still holding up well. Had to replace the coal grate and the grilling grate but the body is still OK. Best thing is being able to feed it some oak scraps off the firewood pile or some mesquite or hickory from time to time.

Corey

cozy heat for my feet said:
Gas? Awww...that's not really BBQ... more like frying outside on a grate ! :) I got a $50 Webber 10 years ago and it's still holding up well. Had to replace the coal grate and the grilling grate but the body is still OK. Best thing is being able to feed it some oak scraps off the firewood pile or some mesquite or hickory from time to time.

Corey

No different than propane and I never have to worry about filling the tank, But Yes, I know what you mean. Now that I am a wood burner I should always have some alder around that I can put in a container on the grill, just picked up a truck load of alder, got a bunch of cherry as well. I will have to give that a try when the wood seasons

I'm sticking with propane.

Do these nicer propane grills have any cooking shields between the burner element (where the propane flames come out) and the cooking surface? I'm tired of flames jumping through and over cooking portions of my food.

Also, it just occurred to me my tank might be getting low on propane, although right now I'm still getting flame. Could low pressure be causing a change in the flame coming our of my burner? It used to be smaller, tight blue flames. Now it is longer, yellowish flames that come up past the briquettes.

Wahoo, that's almost certainly a problem with your burner. If you're happing with the grill you can probably just replace the burner instead of buying a new one. Just find a good BBQ store in your area and I'm sure they can find you a replacement. I know that even HD and Lowe's started carrying some replacement parts. BTW, the purpose of the lava rocks, briquettes, metal pans, is simply to evenly dissipate the heat and provide a place for the drippings from the meat to burn off and provide some smoky flaver back onto your food. My grille has little round ceramic briquettes. The largest gap I've got between them is probably no bigger than a dime. Not enough to allow the flame to char the food.
Hope that helps,
Eric

Our Weber has what they call "flavorizor bars" for drips. There are 2 or 3 V shaped metal bars shape that run parallel to the front. Below those are two stainless burners one in front and one in back also running parallel to front.

wahoowad-

To me, a picture is better than explaining. I have a Brinkman grill that I bought at Lowes 3 years ago for $250. I think it has the "baffles" you're talking about. The cooking surface is also porcelain, so I don't have to worry about that. She's served me well so far, with only yearly maintenance on the burner and grilling surfaces. There are some rust spots developing, which is my fault because I forgot to cover it all this summer. But I will be taking care of those with some new paint and sealant :)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Grill/Grill01.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Grill/Grill02.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Grill/Grill03.jpg
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k104/sundedo/Grill/Grill04.jpg

bought our weber last march and could not believe the difference...called customer service 800 on a saturday night at 8:00 pm got a person on the second ring and she solved my problem in about 30 seconds on a saturday night...that is service!

My weber grill is about 15+ years old and still works great. It use to be my brother in laws. I have rebilt it once. My father in law buys a new grill every 2or3 years. I tell him to buy a weber and you wont have to spend 250-300 every few years, but he knows everything.
My 2 cents buy a weber
John

I bought and returned a grill this year. Wife put it together and told me it was crap and to take it back. it was a "biggun". I looked at a bunch of them, and decided to squeak by with my charbroil another year. Reality is it works fine I just was looking to upgrade. I got the wife to sign off on a masonry outdoor hearth with inset propane grill to be built by the pool next year..... but I digress.

What I learned from lots and lots of looking this year is that for the top you want a double lid. Meaning two layers of material. This insulates the cooking area so that you can obtain and maintain optimum barbcue temperatures without excessive flame. It might cost a bit more, but it is worth it. And you don't seem to have to break the bank completely to get this. just need to be picky.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.