Need advice installing a Hampton HI300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berone

Hearth Supporter
Sep 17, 2007
Peekskill, NY
Leaning heavily toward the Hampton HI300 now. I downloaded the manual and it tells me (sort of) how to connect to the liner. They reference an "optional flue connector kit": The Straight Flue Adaptor (Part #846-504) shown here, may be used to produce a secure connection between your flue connector and the insert collar. Detailed installation instructions are included with the kit. They also mention a "flue connector bracket". It's not listed as optional, so I'm assuming it's included. Before the salesman sells me stuff I don't need what do I need? Does any of this come with one of the standard liner kits? Or is that just the liner and the top parts? I have a note out to Magnaflex to see what they provide with their kit. At this point I'm thinking to do the install myself. My city has no problem with that and I have a good relationship with the building inspector (he likes my work). Looks like the hardest part is moving the unit and since I'll spend Thursday morning humping my neighbor's air conditioners down three flights of stairs I think I can tap him for help.

On installing the liner: I've read that you can ovalize it to come through the damper. My damper is 4 1/4", so it doesn't seem like I'd be flattening it too much. Do you do that before you thread it down the chimney (seems like it would be harder to get it down) or do you reach up through the damper to do it?

Thanks,
Anthony

The stove will come with a Flue connector bracket. My installer inserted the liner directly into the connector bracket and tied in with three screws. No need for the optional flue connector kit IMO. Here's a pic. Follow my install link for more visuals of the install.

Attachments

• Need advice installing a Hampton HI300
    stove in fp1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 290
Thank you! Great photos - love the one of the guy standing on the chimney feeding the liner down! I also love the idea of running the extension cord down the ash dump. I hated the idea of the power cord running around the hearth. This will be a much cleaner look. I ordered the stove today. They'll hold it until I'm ready for delivery. Unlike you I'm paying to have it delivered ($50) but I'll do the installation myself. Hampton has a sale going, so I'm saving 300 something dollars on the fan, and with your tip on running the cord I'll save another $45 since I won't need the conversion kit to move the cord to the other side. Looks like I may bring this whole project in right around $3k, which is about a grand less than I expected. Life is good!

Berone said:
Looks like I may bring this whole project in right around $3k, which is about a grand less than I expected. Life is good!

I'm not sure if your calc's include the U.S. Energy Improvement Tax Credit. I'm getting roughly a $1300.00 credit for my install.

Busted half of that on windows already, and I'll blow the rest on more windows before 2010 is done. Doesn't really matter why I get the money, I guess. Just so I get my $1500!

I have it on mine, like stejus said, its not needed but for a few bucks I think its a better conection. Either way is fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.