Need advice on home heating.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SRMobile

Oct 18, 2009
Canada
I posted this in the wood forum last night by mistake, thought I would get some input from the pellet experts :)

I have been reading on this and I'm basicaly looking for an alternative to electric heating.

I live in a new 1280sq foot town house. I’ve been looking at pellet stoves for a little while and have been getting conflicting information. I’m trying to move away from electrical heat and towards something more cost efficient; that being said:

I have a pretty much open concept floor plan. My idea was to place a pellet stove in my semi-finished basement.(Semi meaning the walls are insolated and gyped but the floor is concrete. ) If I place a pellet stove in the center of the basement, will this be enough to heat my main floor and my partial bedroom area ?

The floor plan is as such:

Basement: 16f x 40f = 640f
Main floor: 16f x 40f = 640f
2nd floor: 16f x 40f = 640f

When you walk in from the front door, the stairs head up; underneath the same stairs, the other set heads down into the basement.

Will a pellet stove in the basement be enough to heat the main floor from the basement; without cutting holes ect in the floor ?

From what I got in the other subforum; I would be better off on getting a pellet furnace and not a stove ?

I would especialy like to hear from those in colder climates who heat their homes from their basements exclusively.

All input is appreciated,

SR

The general rule is put the stove in the area you want the heat.

This has been discussed many, many times here. Several times in the last week as a matter of fact.

Use the "search" feature and you'll find lots of info.

I'd put the stove in my living area...

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. I wrote just that.

I checked the first two pages and didn't find anything relevant.

If this is such a topic that is discussed many, many times; why not make it a sticky ??

I am heating a raised ranch from the basement. Basement is unfinished. I have 1000 sqft in the basemant and same above. With out a ducted system, It is a waste of time and energy. I have to overheat the basement by at least 20º to be comfy upstairs. The exposed concrete is sucking up the heat downstairs as well. I have added a semi duct system and made my install better, But having a ducted furnace would be the way I would go next time.

Spend the extra and go with a MULTIFUEL furnace with a duct system. You will use less fuel and heat only where you want to heat. Or use multiple stoves to heat both the basement and the upstairs area.

There are several out there and they are just slightly more expensive than a Upper level stove. You will be better off and warmer. Plus heating funds will heat where you want. There will be some that say its possable to do it with a stove, But with out duct and room fans circulating the air. Its just a hit or miss option and might cost you more in the long run.

IMO get the furnace and place the heat where it is required.
jay

In a townhouse situation, you should check local fire codes and also see what your owner's association allows. They might not allow wood burning appliances, be it pellets or straight wood.

Gweeper64 said:
In a townhouse situation, you should check local fire codes and also see what your owner's association allows. They might not allow wood burning appliances, be it pellets or straight wood.

I agree. It may also be very hard, if not impossible, to get insurance once they find you have a pellet stove. A fire can increase their risks many times over in a townhouse/condo situation.

Bkins

As Krooser said, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum in this forum. Try using the search terms "pellet basement install"...that should give you a good sampling of this topic, and the general consensus of basement installs.

Also, as mentioned, after confirming that you can even put a pellet stove in your townhouse, if the basement is the only place you can locate the stove AND you can run the ducting, then I would recommend just getting the furnace, as Jtakeman suggests.

Jtakeman is right , you`ll have to overheat that lower level where the stove is to get heat to the upper levels.
Unless electricity is unusually low in your area it`s probably time you repaced the electric heat with a nice new modern central heating system with multiple zones that meets or exceeds current efficiency standards and will keep your home comfy.
I like a stove too and I do use a small pellet stove to heat my finished basement but the upper levels are easily and cheaply heated by a reasonably modern / efficient oil furnace.
If you spend 3K + for a pellet stove(s), you`re still stuck with the expensive electric heat system and your homes value stays diminished , or at least in my neck of the woods it is. No one wants electric heat around here any more at $.18 kwhr.
I`d highly suggest investing in a new energy efficient heating system before you spend heavily on a pellet stove space heater than does nothing to add any value to your home.
After thats done it might be a good thing to have a pellet stove in the house. I happen to view a pellet stove as more of a luxury that doesn`t deserve a top spot on the list of priorities where a good central heating system should be.
Your mileage may vary.

Added later: I just caught the part where you live in a townhouse. It`s possible the rules and agreements and physical layout don`t allow for either a new heating system or space heaters. I`d check those rules and agreements you had to have signed before proceeding with any course of action.

Thank you everyone for your prompt replies :)

I'd like to appologize if this has been discussed at length and will do a search; I did look at the first two pages and didn't see anything.

2nd I have already checked with all my local regulations and I am allowed. I am an end unit so I have some flexibility :)

I think with all your suggestions, I am better off going with the furnace. Thank you all again for your most invaluable information; the sales people I spoke with obviously led me down the wrong path and I'm happy to have found this site to set me straight!

Cheers,

SR

Status
Not open for further replies.