Need advice on how to correct this - see picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joesat78

Jul 13, 2008
Central PA
To the fine folks in this forum,

Its been 2 years since the insert was installed and I used it for the last 2 seasons and I was very happy with it. Today, I decided to clean it for the coming winter. I opened the surround and this is what I see... (first pic)

The joint seal between the insert and the liner has given way. All I see is red dust around the seal.

Questions:
1. What is that red dust? How big of an issue is this?
2. How can I correct this? Any recommended product?

Also, I knew that my installer did not install a block-off plate - I gave up after speaking to him a couple of times. Today, when I was checking, I saw that he had stuffed fiber-glass insulation around the area where the liner enters the chimney. Also, there is a big hole there without any insulation.

Questions:
1. I know I'm not handy enough to get a block-off plate made to fit that space. Considering this, what are my alternatives? Can I stuff any fiberglass insulation? Any other alternatives? I've included a pics - you can see a metal plate - I've temporarily placed it there (not secured), Without that, there was a big hole in its place.

I really appreciate your time and help here.

Thanks, Joel

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_1207.jpg
    IMG_1207.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 505
Get rid of that fiberglass insulation and stuff rockwool or kaowool in there. Is the rest of the liner insulated?

I'm just guessing, but is that red mess some high temp silicon that he put on there and it melted away from the joints he applied it to? That stuff is good up to like 500 degrees, but I'm guessing right at that joint it can get hotter than that.

No, the rest of the liner is not insulated. Where can I buy rockwool or kaowool?

You may be right about that silicon, but, has anyone seen silicon deterioration like this? Anyone know a good one that I can use?

That is correct. The red stuff is RTV silicone which bakes to a crumbly powder at high stove temps. Clean up that mess and seal with Rutland stove cement.

BeGreen is correct. Get some stove/furnace cement for those areas.

There are lots of different vendors for rockwool or kaowool. I've seen lots of kaowool on ebay before.

Is that liner going up an existing clay flue? If not, you should really think about insulating the entire liner.

Again, I need some advice from the fine folks here.

As you can see from my original post/pictures - there is a hole where the liner enters the chimney. I've cut a piece of metal to cover it up (attached new pics). Now, I don't know how to secure the lower end of the metal place. Any ideas? I'm a little reluctant to secure it to the inside wall of the fireplace. Is that a good idea? If I don't have any option, what do I use to fasten it? The upper end of the metal sheet is bent forward and is resting in the opening to the chimney. I don't know what I'm trying is safe. Any guidance would be very helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1220_sm.jpg
    IMG_1220_sm.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_1221_sm.jpg
    IMG_1221_sm.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_1223_sm.jpg
    IMG_1223_sm.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 290
That looks like regular duct pipe, unrolled. If so, cut off the seam lock on the edges. It will be a bit more of a challenge because of the natural curl to the metal and its light gauge. But yes, it usually gets attached inside to the fireplace wall. Here are some instructions with pictures. If you don't have something to bend the metal with, use a 2x4 or 6 clamped to a bench as an edge to bend on and use a hammer to tap a sharp crease on the folded edge.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/making_a_block_off_plate/

And here are some other installations:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11697/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9630/P15/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/47057/

Status
Not open for further replies.