Need Advice on temporary stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

foche911

Aug 19, 2009
North Central Oklahoma
Need Advice: I want to temporarily install until I am satisfied that I like where stove is located before I make cuts and install correct. I want to remove window, frame in opening and use DuraVent thru-the wall kit with DoubleWall for now. This locates the stove same as where I plan to make final install thru ceiling if satisfied. What I want to know is if I can get by with not all insulated pipe on outside of house, as I need to make angle to avoid overhang at this point. It will look funny, but I want the trial, then if happy, I do full install. Stove is England NC 13, and will not be at high heat, we don't get that cold here. I will never push it at all. Also, how much flue length is necessary? This looks to be 6 feet insulated to get outside to verticle, then I can use another 3 feet insulated before it gets funny. Then there would be bends and singlewall... There would be plenty of clearance. I would appreciate any help.

You absolutely want the stainless insulated pipe (class A) on the outside of the house. If you don't you're going to cool the chimney gasses too quickly with the connector pipe and produce creosote like a mofo, not to mention, your draft is going to suck (or rather, not suck, in this case). The black stove connector pipe is only suitable for use in the immediate room where the stove is located. As soon as you penetrate any wall/ceiling, you MUST switch over to class A.

I personally don't like the idea of doing a temporary setup... but... I guess as long as you follow the clearances and codes, it shouldn't matter if you penetrate the house through a framed in window verses any other framed portion of the house.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.