Need advice on what to do with my fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfguy

Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Niskayuna, NY
So I just bought my house, it's a 1950's ranch which is L shaped. We have a fireplace in the living room which has 14 foot ceilings and one exterior wall of floor to ceiling windows. The dimensions are 20x18. I believe the chimney has a clay liner and is 6 3/4" x 11 and is 14ft from the bottom of the fireplace to the top of the chimney.
The face of the fireplace is roughly 29" wide by 25" high. Not sure how to measure the depth with this style. The damper opening in 6 3/4" high by 22" wide.

I hope this is enough info and pictures for you all to help me out on this. I think we are looking to just get an insert. I'd like to heat as much of the house, as often as possible with this unit. Any advice is much appreciated as always.

Thanks
Need advice on what to do with my fireplace Need advice on what to do with my fireplaceNeed advice on what to do with my fireplace Need advice on what to do with my fireplaceNeed advice on what to do with my fireplace Need advice on what to do with my fireplace

Last edited by a moderator:
How many square feet is the house? that will give an idea on what size stove you should be looking for. It's not the biggest fireplace, it's actually 1 inch less wide than my second fireplace so I know what inserts fit into mine, mostly medium size inserts, just not so sure about that taper you have though.

After seeing that big hearth in front you can consider a free stander and vent up the fireplace also, so that may open up possibilities.

How many square feet is the house? that will give an idea on what size stove you should be looking for. It's not the biggest fireplace, it's actually 1 inch less wide than my second fireplace so I know what inserts fit into mine, mostly medium size inserts, just not so sure about that taper you have though.

After seeing that big hearth in front you can consider a free stander and vent up the fireplace also, so that may open up possibilities.

We are 1600sq

Did your home inspector write up anything about the chimney? Hard to tell from the last pic, but it looks too short...should be 3' min height at point it exits from the roof. Also, judging from needles all over the roof....check to make sure you don't have any branches/trees too close (for the sake of your chimney and your roof).
The fire place looks like a heatform (prefab metal box with vent tubes around which masonry chimney constructed). There's been lots of threads on here about dealing with these.
You might consider freestanding stove in front of fireplace, with piping to enter chimney above the smoke chamber. Also lining flue and perhaps extending another 2 or 4 feet to improve draft and clearance from combustible roof is advisable.
Floor plans may help discussion....perhaps there is a more central stove location that may help heat entire house....new stove & class a chimney.

Depth should be measured from the top and bottom of the fireplace opening. Also, what is the height and width at the back?

Did your home inspector write up anything about the chimney? Hard to tell from the last pic, but it looks too short...should be 3' min height at point it exits from the roof. Also, judging from needles all over the roof....check to make sure you don't have any branches/trees too close (for the sake of your chimney and your roof).
The fire place looks like a heatform (prefab metal box with vent tubes around which masonry chimney constructed). There's been lots of threads on here about dealing with these.
You might consider freestanding stove in front of fireplace, with piping to enter chimney above the smoke chamber. Also lining flue and perhaps extending another 2 or 4 feet to improve draft and clearance from combustible roof is advisable.
Floor plans may help discussion....perhaps there is a more central stove location that may help heat entire house....new stove & class a chimney.

It was recommended to us to extend the chimney. I was thinking that when we line it we can add on the needed extension.
Those are needles all overt roof. Sadly the older couple that we purchased this home from let a ton of pine trees grow very large and very close to the house. We just replaced the roof and are actively removing all the trees near the home. Obviously just having the weekends it takes some time.
I believe it is some sort of heat form. But I don't see any vent tubes. The damper is broken off and I can look straight up into the flue.

I believe our location is kinda set. We are limited in funding since we just bought this home. I'd just like to find a insert to fit the fireplace so we can get some efficiency out of it to heat as much of the home as possible. Id consider a freestanding unit but only at a last resort. Not a fan of the looks on a freestanding in front of the fireplace opening. Thanks for all your help.

Anyone know if I could actually get a 6" liner down that size chimney and what style of liner I should get? Where's a good place to purchase an insert online that will fit this heatilator opening?

M&G Duraliner makes a 6" oval liner that will fit the chimney. It is 4 3/4" x 7 3/4" and pre-insulated so the OD is set. This system comes with a wide array of options for rigid or flex. It's a bit more expensive, but top quality. This is what I would use for the install.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=66

Whats the best way to measure this type of opening to so I can get the correct insert? Any tips?

Found the vogelgang colonial tr004 at my price point but I'm unsure of how far into the fireplace it must sit in there. Anyone have an idea on I can be sure this baby will fit?

Whats the best way to measure this type of opening to so I can get the correct insert? Any tips?

If I use this oval liner how would it attach to the insert? I am assuming that most are round and not oval where it exits the insert.

M&G Duraliner makes a 6" oval liner that will fit the chimney. It is 4 3/4" x 7 3/4" and pre-insulated so the OD is set. This system comes with a wide array of options for rigid or flex. It's a bit more expensive, but top quality. This is what I would use for the install.

http://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=66
If I use this

Status
Not open for further replies.