NEED ADVICE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mpoland33

Jul 22, 2017
maryland
We are buying a new house in a month or so and I'm already thinking ahead to winter! haha

We will be walking into oil heat. we will be using this as the primary heat. I have a 2 and 4 year old (and a wife) that is spoiled by furnace heat as a primary.

Anyway, it also has a small wood burning stove. It would only hold a few pieces of wood a time...longer than taller. Anyway, my wife brought up the point that although she's all for using this as a secondary heat it might not be worth it vs the oil.

I love the idea of the heat but buying a cord or two of wood to use during the winter might not save us money overall. What do you think? Anyone else have this same predicament?

It's a 2800 sq ft house if that means anything. Fireplace is on the main level. Have a finished basement and then an upstairs as well.

For me, I want to mainly heat the main level and a little upstairs. I don't care about sleeping chilly if need be...but with the kids, welll like I said, they're spoiled haha

If it is a small stove in a closed off area then it might do for that room, but unlikely for the house. Does the 2800 sq ft include the basement? Is the small stove in the fireplace? Are there high ceilings involved? Pictures are always welcome.

If it is a small stove in a closed off area then it might do for that room, but unlikely for the house. Does the 2800 sq ft include the basement? Is the small stove in the fireplace? Are there high ceilings involved? Pictures are always welcome.

I might have to check back with pictures when we move in. 2800 including the basement so maybe 2400 or so between the main level and upstairs. no high ceilings. Small stove insert in the fireplace.

I say.. get a cord or 2, and see how you like it..get it now and start to season it wood. Then run your stove this winter and see how it proforms. Over the fall work on your wood supply for next year. Look for a better, larger, more efficient stove in sprig.