Need assistance with dimensions for mantel with an old wood burning fireplace.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChiefAnonymous

Nov 28, 2018
Sarpy County, Nebraska
Good evening,
I have an old Western Fireplaces model BF-36
Fireplace Plate.jpg
And, as you can see in the pictures below, I have to replace the mantle, hearth, glass doors and surround for the entire wall that the fireplace is in. It's a long story, but the house was struck by lightning and the restoration is almost complete, with exception to the fireplace area and I need some assistance with determining the dimensions for the mantle above the fireplace.
Wall.jpg Fireplace Insert - opening dimensions.jpg

I've read and a local contractor told me that as a general rule, the bottom of a mantel is placed about 12 inches above the fireplace opening. This is supported by the NFPA 211- 2019 Edition.
NFPA 211 2019 .jpg

I've also read that according to the National Standard Building Code Information that factory-built fireplaces shall be testing-agency listed and shall be installed in accordance with the conditions of the listing. Meaning I need to refer to and follow the fireplace manufacturer's owner's manual, which I cannot find, because the manufacturer of Western Fireplaces is A.R Wood Mfg. Co and owner's manuals cannot be found...

And to complicate matters, I've also read in simple Google search that the National Fire Code dictates that any combustible material (e.g., wood mantel or similar trim) must be at least six inches from the firebox opening. An additional inch of clearance is needed for every 1/8 inch the combustible material or trim protrudes.

I'd like to install a 6" deep live edge wood mantel, that's 6" at the deepest edge, since there is some fluctuation with it being a live edge. If my math's right, an additional inch for every 1/8" of a 6" deep mantel, would be 48" + the initial 6" above the fireplace opening, 4 1/2 feet? That's just not practical.

So I'm looking for some guidance and I know the answer is going to be check with my local code enforcement office, but that's easier said than done, without irritating the code enforcement officer.

Thanks for any additional info.
Jeremy