Need fire starters? SuperCedar discount!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Just curious. I looked at the website and watched the video. What is the advantage to these as opposed to just using kindling? Seems like an unnecessary expense, but then again, I have never used them, so I don't know.
Convenience, consistency, less smoke on startup with top down fires. Plus a great company to support. I had not heard of them before finding this site when we put our wood burning fireplace in and I’m glad I picked up a box. You can split them in 1/2 or in 1/4 and they will still get your fire started if you’re using properly dried wood. I’m a believer now

Reactions: Dan Freeman
I just bought a 100ct and took advantage of the 30% discount. I have a lot of kindling, but about 2/3's of the way through the season I am always scrounging around for more kindling, so these will come in handy then, and should last me a few years. However, if I like them, maybe I won't have to worry about kindling anymore!

Reactions: PAbeech
If your wood is dry, you can have little to no kindling. As said above, you only have to use like 1/4 of one of them.
I just bought a box of 100 as well

Just curious. I looked at the website and watched the video. What is the advantage to these as opposed to just using kindling? Seems like an unnecessary expense, but then again, I have never used them, so I don't know.
They are great for their ease of use. This is especially nice during shoulder season when one is burning short hot fires, maybe twice a day. I can get full 3-4" splits started with 1/4 puck of SuperCedar. During the 24/7 heating season there is no need if one is loading onto hot coals, but in the following spring, the SuperCedar is a welcome starter.

Reactions: Dix and Dan Freeman
I don't use them. Haven't even used the one that came with the BK. Dry wood needs minimal kindling. My splitting trash is enough for me. But I don't have many cold starts. (And never two a day.. that would suck imo.)

But the point is to get burning quickly and efficiently, and in a way that makes you satisfied. If that is accomplished for you with these things, that's great!

They are great for their ease of use. This is especially nice during shoulder season when one is burning short hot fires, maybe twice a day. I can get full 3-4" splits started with 1/4 puck of SuperCedar. During the 24/7 heating season there is no need if one is loading onto hot coals, but in the following spring, the SuperCedar is a welcome starter.
What is shoulder season?

Shoulder season is the fall and spring when some heat is needed but not much.

Reactions: Judge80
Only if you keep them in the rain.
Keeping them inside, you don't need the wrap.

I thought that these last the whole year. ( I believe that was the case previous years.)

Okay thanks.
Since as long as I can remember, there has always been a discount going throughout the year for Hearth members.
The code is only changes by year (Hearth 21, Hearth 22, etc).

Placed an order for 100. I always run short on kindling and these are nice to have around.

I use these. I break them into thirds so I can get 144 starts out of a box. Have been paying $9.99 at Walmart but the price has gone up. They’re available at Home Depot also. I think at Home Depot they’re $12 something if you buy three boxes. Been using them the last five years and they’re the cheapest that I’ve found. $13.83 at Walmart here. AD6CB07F-E7FE-4581-814F-77127DFAC8B5.jpeg

Reactions: dafattkidd
I am always scrounging around for more kindling, so these will come in handy then, and should last me a few years. However, if I like them, maybe I won't have to worry about kindling anymore!
Same here -- always good intentions with collecting kindling in Sep/Oct....then in late Feb wondering what happened to all that nice maple kindling ! Just ordered some supercedars ...

We use them a lot when camping, were "dry firewood" is... iffy

But I started using them here at home first, and still do. Absolutely no fuss, no muss. Load stove, insert CC into the middle or underneath, light. Walk away. No tending, no battling, no kindling. I am heating my home, not earning a merit badge. I bought a 100 pack years ago, when the company owner took a HUGE step up to help out a member here. It's taken since then to use up the 100 I bought then (mostly) noticed I was down to a few when I did my first annual "break in fire", so just took advantage of his discount code to order another 100.

As far as the other things you can buy.. yep, they are cheaper. Yep they are cheapest at a store I don't frequent. Price isn't everything, and among other things, I'd rather buy from a small American company.