Sources of free paper for fire starting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sirlight

Burning Hunk
Dec 4, 2021
Albany, OR
I typically start my fire every morning during cold weather. Because of this I need a constant supply of paper for fire starting. As things have become more and more digital I have lost most of my free sources of paper. Nobody I know actually reads the newspaper anymore. Does anyone have suggestions of free sources of paper? And don't say use Super Cedars, I am cheap and don't mind splitting kindling.

Pine cones if you have access to good ones.
Kindling/sticks, Just split a few small pieces thinner, No need for paper.
I gave up paper a while ago. And i light a new fire at least every day in season.

Lots of options for homemade fire starters. Do you drink wine or know anyone who does? Soak corks in rubbing alcohol. Lint from your dryer will get a fire going, just stuff some in a toilet paper tube and you're good to go. Melt some wax in a paper egg carton. A few options.

Last edited:
Do you start bottom or top down? Two small 4”X.5”X.5” pieces of fat wood and a kitchen torch. When I don’t want to go the shed to get more fat wood the weed burner I use to light charcoal gets used on kindling.

Our local news paper was printed locally. They would just toss the last 1” that was on the paper roll.

Nature's best firestarter is birch bark if you have any birch trees around.
No birch that I have access to. Here in my part of Oregon, the common wood is fir, cedar and oak. Paper and kindling works fine for my fire starting needs. I just need reliable, free source of paper. I am not interested in buying fatwood sticks to get my daily fire going.

Better than fatwood are SuperCedars. With dry wood and kindling, 1/8-1/4 of a puck will start the fire. Or consider a map torch. A cylinder will last a season.

For other paper sources consider papermill waste, and hit up the local knick-knack and gift shops to see if they have excess paper packing that they recycle.

On the way out of a grocery store grab a handful of ads.

I used to wait until Monday morning and then visit a couple of local hotels. I generally scored all of the to-be-discarded thick Sunday newspapers I could carry.

Does anyone have suggestions of free sources of paper?

Your local library.

Many businesses have newspapers delivered to them. Ask at your bank. Those places seem pleased to have someone take old newspapers off their hands so they don't have to haul them to a recycling center.

Junk mail.

Be careful with junk mail. It may contain papers printed with toxic inks, or paper with toxic coatings. It's better to avoid colored paper, paper printed with colored ink, and glossy paper in general.

Be careful with junk mail. It may contain papers printed with toxic inks, or paper with toxic coatings. It's better to avoid colored paper, paper printed with colored ink, and glossy paper in general.
I am not so worried about colored newsprint, but I avoid the glossy paper.

I get mine at a Mall where I live. Its free, but I take like 3. Better than wasting in my book. They have stacks of them at every door. Its all The Classifieds, or something. I use them all winter. Start in the summer tho, youll be happy.

This works well. Get scrap house framing 2 X . Stop by any house framing job they will give you all you need. I spit it with the splitter. but a hatchet works well. I save paper towel and toilet paper tubes. If you criss cross right that's all you need.

The grocery store often has free local papers and cars for sale books by their door. If you ask nicely, they’ll probably give you their old newspapers if they still sell them too.

Not free, but we still subscribe to the local paper for $7 a month. I occasionally skim it but mostly I keep the subscription so I can use it for starting fires.

Reactions: BillBurns
Locally we have paper and cardboard recycle bins in every town...I have no idea how someone could not have enough paper for firestarter, but if I didn't, I'd "shop" at the recycle bin.
Personally I just noodle up a couple rounds and dry the noodles on the driveway in the sun for a couple sunny days, stuff into a bin or bucket(s), and that will last me a winter easily.
We give papers to my MIL/FIL for firestarter too...they use WAY too much at a time...and pay no attention when I mention it.

Post offices often have recycle bins to deal with flyers that people get but don’t want. Been getting fire starter paper there for years. Now if I can only find an unlimited supply of plastic grocery bags…

I asked the local gas station what they did with their old newspapers. (They only have to send back the cover sheet for return credit purposes, usually).

They said they would, and they did.

Score !!!!

Works great if you have a puppy, too ;)

I use junk mail...non glossy paper and Amazon packing paper. Don't need much with an endless supply of lightwood and kindling. Toilet paper rolls stuffed with dryer lent also works.

Lot of great ideas. We put recycling out twice a month in our town. Someone close by must get a daily paper. They tie them up neatly before putting them out at the end of a private road. They last a good while but If I’m running low I might have to beat my friends from up the road who run two stoves to the bundle.

Cardboard works great and is very abundant.