Need fireplace suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamaradelaluna

Hearth Supporter
Mar 24, 2009
Lawrence, KS
Hi -- I was on here a little while back with questions, but our budget won't allow for what we wanted to do. Thanks for everyone who weighed in before, and I'm hoping a few of you will weigh in again, now that our circumstances are a bit changed. Here's the deal:

I have a 62 inch wall to put a fireplace in. There is no fireplace there now. We have tried to be as "green" as possible in our addition/remodel, and we'd like to continue that with our addition of a fireplace, within budget. I want to be able to operate the fireplace at least occasionally without glass doors between me and the fire. We'd like for the fireplace to help with heating costs -- at least a little -- during the cold months. We want to do a limestone facade and a raised hearth.

So, my question is this:

What size/brand fireplace would you put in to get the most efficiency for your dollar? What accessories are must-haves?

Thanks in advance!
Tamara (Kansas)

Temco= you get what you pay for

Look into Heat N Glo products

It would be cheaper and more efficient to install a wood stove on a nice brick or stone hearth than a fireplace. There are stove out there with optional fire screens to get that fireplace feel.

Thanks for the suggestions, Pyro & FHS! I would much prefer a fireplace over a woodstove, and I will look into Heat N Glo products online tonight. Thanks, Tamara

In general, even with glass doors, fireplaces are not efficient heaters. Often they remove more heat than they add to the house. If the goal is heat with a nice fireview on a budget, it's hard to beat a real stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.