need good advice, suggestions,too much wet or green &wet;wood, not enough dry seasoned wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eernest4

Oct 22, 2007
ct
netzero.com
Ive got 120 pallets, 2 cords of rounds about 2yrs old, outside, uncovered and its pouring out
today. They all soaked to the core. third straight day of rain. even my roof is leaking, I have a drip bucket set out to catch the drip.

That the bad news.

Good news is , I have 2 --20 ft rows of splits, dry on the outside but they were wet in first week of sept 07 , so they have high moisture content. left side row is 3 ft high & right side row is 6 ft
high and I have 6 buckets full of wood in basement, like the orange plastic ones you see at home depot, 6 gal plastic.

so, how do i get this stuff dry to burn for winter.

Not much room around stove, only enough room to dry 1 load at a stove firing

I just bought a 30 ft construction trailer to keep my wood in, and was able to get all my splits in there under cover before the rain , but that was all i had time for before rain drops kept falling on my head.

I have a 12 inch diameter mini pot belly stove , for both wood &coal;, in the construction trailer too, but I just bought it used this week and it needs assembly, some parts missing too and no 6 in stack .

In my mind was the idea that I could install sheet metal roofing panel heat sheilds on movable
2x4 stands , because it only 1 trailer width in there and with 2- 24 inch wood stack rows, one on each side wall.

The construction site trailer i bought has an office in front that eats up the first 10 feet of the trailer, leaving 20 ft in back where the wood is. I was entertaining the idea of breaking down the partition and install the wood stove in the office with a 20 inch 120volt 3 spd box fan behind it and have it blow the heat from the stove across the sides of both wood stacks.

My idea any good or waste of time and effort.

what u think, any better ideas out there or improvement on ideas.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I was also thinking, my basement stove have a big flat top 2ftx2ft, then a step up and 1ft x2 ft

I toy with idea of putting newspaper and kindling and (quanity) 2, 3, or 4 --- of -- 1/8th size splits in firebox,
just enough to heat up 1/4 plate steel stove, and putting some of my wet splits that i still have to make from my wet rounds or the wet pallet boards on to the 1/4 steel 2ftx 2ft stove top and try frying the water out of the wood, like cooking on a stove top only not really cooking.

I Would have to stay right there and watch it like a cat with a conered mouse but it might dry my wood out.

What you think, am I the only crazy one , or do others see merit in this idea.

Any one actually try this and have experience to share with us.

This is the fall rainy season in ct, just before onset of winter, so i dont see any chance of any sun drying from now on.

I was sick all summer trying to shake a nasty infection with a variety of antibiotics which I finally triumphed over, so not much got done, leaving me playing catch up ball and trying to pick up the shambles,
now that i am well again.

next year , I start cutting in march and splitting in april, so i never get stuck with wet & green wood again.

OK - I think I got all that...

Your wood that is seasoned but wet with rain should be OK to burn if you can just get it dry - ie put it inside the day before you expect to burn it...maybe in your basement with a fan blowing on it. Really, you could probably almost throw it it wet with little decrease in performance. I doubt it is 'soaked to the core'...with the wood dead and seasoned, there just isn't much going on to move moisture all the way through the wood.

As for kiln drying the trailer load of wood - I don't know - that sounds dangerous having a wood stove near that much wood. agz124 posted a link to a kiln drying study:

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn254.pdf

Basically, you are looking to keep the temp at 180F for 120 hours (with air circulation) to properly dry the wood. That would be quite the feat.

To me, the easiest thing would be to sell the construction trailer, use the funds to buy some seasoned wood for this year, or if you cut your own wood, scout around some areas for fallen dead trees. Those might be a little further along in the seasoning process. The last option would be to go ahead and burn your seasoned stuff - hopefully that would get you a couple more months in. Then split up your greener wood into small splits and burn it. I suspect the decrease in performance from burning the green wood is less or equal to burning wood to dry the green wood in the trailer. You're driving moisture out with heat one way or the other.

Take your seasoned but wet wood and stack it in single criss-crossed rows (so it looks like #) in the sunniest spot you can find in your yard. Top cover only if rain threatens and within a few days of good air movement and sun it should be pretty good. Note: tomorrow is supposed to be sunny , dry, and very breezy, great drying day, and much of the week coming up looks pretty good too. Once its pretty dry, get it under permanate cover. Sorry bout your illness but glad you'r feeling better!

I agree. This type of weather is usually followed by dry, sunny and windy conditions. If your wood was already seasoned, do not worry. You wood will be dry once again within a day. Once it is dry, then cover it with something. Even a cheap plastic tarp will do for a season. I also agree that putting that wood into a stove won't hurt the performance much at all as the rain won't soak into the wood very far.

thank you all for the replies, i feel a lot better about my wood after listening to you.

i will make a lot of 1/8 th splits out of my 1/4 splits and split my rounds to 1/8ths and set
them out to dry in the sun and wind in # piles, all over the front yard.
Mom's not going 2 be at all happy about it, but she smile when she is warm this winter.

front yard more sunny.

Status
Not open for further replies.