Need help choosing a new stove. Englander 30-NCL and the jotul F500 etc.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis 2

Hearth Supporter
Nov 29, 2007
western MA
I need help choosing a new stove.
I have a 1980's VC Vigilant that I'm using in my cellar to heat my ranch house ( bought it used this year) . It does a good job , but would like a more efficient stove . living space is 1374 sq. ft.,and cellar is 1104 sq.ft..( total 2478) The cellar is insulated from the out side .
I heard good things about the Englander 30-NCL and the jotul F500 . I need a good stove that I don't have to baby sit as much as the Vigilant . Thank you for your help .
Dennis 2

I have the Jotul and like it, however it is hard to keep it going all night. I'm usually overnighting it around 10:30 and at 6 there really isn't much left and the temp in the house is down. I know there are still coals to relight but just figured I would give you my #'s and you can use them as you wish. Only thing in its favor is I'm burning ash right now instead of oak. We'll see how that does in a few more weeks.
Chad

We've had our Englander 30-NC for a couple weeks now and so far its a great stove! Put's out a LOT of heat, which easily heats our 2 story house. I load it up around 9:00PM and have a good amount of coals left at 6:00AM to get another fire going. It takes about a half hour to bring the living room up from 60 degrees to 75 on a cold morning.

I say the 30 because it is a square firebox and can be load N/S or E/W, I personally don't like shallow fireboxes.

Just wanted to say Thank You everyone for your help. I think I'll go with the 30 . It seems that It should push out enough heat for my home . Were can I buy one in western Mass?
Thanks again
Dennis

Dennis 2 said:
Just wanted to say Thank You everyone for your help. I think I'll go with the 30 . It seems that It should push out enough heat for my home . Were can I buy one in western Mass?
Thanks again
Dennis

check your local home depot , its stocked under the "30-NCH" h for home depot , it has the trim package they wanted to carry , but other than that the h means nothing. lowes in some areas stock it regular as well under the summers heat 50-snc-30 model number (same stove just has nickle trim instead of brass. you can also go to your local ace or true value store and have them get you one out of their respective warehouse. if you have trouble locating one , let me know , i can help you find one.

and , welcome to the ESW family

Dennis 2 said:
I heard good things about the Englander 30-NCL and the jotul F500 . I need a good stove that I don't have to baby sit as much as the Vigilant . Thank you for your help .
Dennis 2

Most folks are not comparing these two stoves. Folks that buy a Jotul often have a mate (or themselves) that wants a piece of "heating furniture" in the room. Same thing with VC and other cast stoves like Morso, etc.

On the other hand, steel stoves have the reputation of being largely trouble-free and very durable. But very few (with the exception of some European models - see enclosed) are going to be "fawned" over or put into a Museum someday.

To illustrate this story, we were over a friends house the other evening and they have a white enameled VC Resolute, sitting on a nice hearth in their living room - with the warming shelves and a steamer.....and a plant on top. Turns out they have not used it for years, but it will stay because they like the looks of it! Now that is saying something about style......

BTW, if you are heating from the basement and/or need a lot of heat and a long burn, you might want to read this basic article on stove sizing:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Choosing_a_Wood_Stove/

Attachments

• Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    15 KB · Views: 401
Dennis, welcome. And congratulations for being objective. There's a big gulf between the Oslo and the 30NC regarding firebox size. If you are looking at Jotul, I would compare the F600 instead. Bigger firebox and top + side loading.

Make some phone calls. When I called around for prices on an Englander I found a huge price difference between different dealers on the same insert. The Lowes in the next town over from the Englander factory was $200 higher than a small stove store - go figure.

Also, its been mentioned here that the big box stores should be having an end of year closeout so keep that in mind.

I don't know if this is the same stove but: http://www.overstockstoves.com/50nowomo2sqf.html

Status
Not open for further replies.