Need help cleaning my chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New_Burner

Apr 13, 2009
Canada
I have an outside masonary chimney with a 6 inch stainless steel liner. The chimney is two years old and needs its first cleaning. However, the chimney is about 30 ft high and resides next to a 9/12 pitch roof. I just climbed up there this morning, chimney brush in hand and safety harness on. I'm not one to be afraid of heights, but that roof is just too steep for proper footing trying to clean a chimney. I climbed down without finishing the job.

I thought I would try cleaning from inside going through the cleanout in the basement but because the cleanout goes through the foundation and then a 90 degree angle and straight up, the rods won't go in and up without breaking.

My question is is there a better way of cleaning that chimney? Are there more flexible rods available?

I hate to pay someone to do this every year.....

If you can reach the chimney while standing on the roof, you have it made. Just lay the ladder at the same angle as the roof. My roof is 12/12 and my ladder isn't long enough so I borrowed my neighbor's ladder last year. I really should buy a longer ladder.

index.php

Yup ^ what LLigetfa did. If you haven't cleaned it in 2 years take a balled of chain tied to a rope and make a couple of passes. From the bottom clean out mirror it first...if it's perfectly round or rectangular you may not have to dick with the chain. That means you were burning seasoned wood...many benefits in doing that...

...don't forget to tie yourself off. There's also ladder hooks, pretty sure you can get them at Lowes.

ACRO_hook-01.jpg

Hello New_Burner...I would install a 2 by 4 cleat a foot in from the porch roof edge...and seal it with roofing cement so that it wouldn't leak...then use an extension ladder to clean the chimney. Franklin

Those ladder hooks are something I could use but I can't find them around here.

It doesn't look like the porch roof sticks out beyond the plane of the the main roof but it doesn't look like a 40 foot ladder would reach at that angle. A 40 footer might reach from the gable end where you can set it at a much steeper angle. Use a ladder standoff that's wide enough to catch the sides of the chimney. Once you get up there, tie a rope around the chimney too.

standoff_main.jpg

If you park a pickup on that side and set the ladder in the bed of it, it will give you a few extra feet of height and give you something solid to tie off the ladder base to.

It also looks like you could find yourself a comfortable spot between the chimney and the peak that you can wedge yourself into. Consider mounting a permanent Roof Anchor at the ridge. Google Permanent Roof Anchor.

Find a good chimney sweep.

BrotherBart said:
Find a good chimney sweep.

And be sure to see how he solves the problem - may learn a new trick you can use after that.

Build yourself a chicken ladder.
Been a while, but from roofing for a living for many years, that looks steeper than a 9/12.
I used to be able to eye a roof and dam near guess the pitch.

Hogwildz said:
Been a while, but from roofing for a living for many years, that looks steeper than a 9/12.
The garage is probably 9/12 but the house looks to be 12/12.

beautiful house.
slow 1 may not be so slow. i think you nailed it. go to chimney cleaning school and watch the guy that you hired to see how he tackles it

i agree with the sweep idea.. That is one hell of a roof at one hell of a hight. I would get a pro to do it forever. The $200 /year would be better then one ride to the hospital or morgue. by the looks of that house, a sweep every 4 or 5 cords should not put you in bankruptcy court.

You could always build a curb on the backside of the roof and install a roof hatch ;)

Hogwildz said:
You could always build a curb on the backside of the roof and install a roof hatch ;)

always thinkin. who needs a ladder :)

Status
Not open for further replies.