1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need help converting an older Majestic from NG to LP

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by deluzbee, Aug 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deluzbee

deluzbee New Member

Loc:
    CA
    No inspectors on this job. This is a renegade Fireplace job.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. deluzbee

deluzbee New Member

Loc:
    CA
    I was thinking something like the Gas Fireplace Safety Pilot Kit with Remote Control Flame Management
    by Skytech. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSSUN4/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ACP6JMVRXLHJ5 with a propane converter. I would also add a new propane burner.

burner 30in Dual Flame Box Burner Arctic Flame http://www.amazon.com/30in-Dual-Flame-Burner-Arctic/dp/B003LUJR28/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

Any reason why that shouldn't work.
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    #54 Orifice Drill will get ya 21131 BTU with LP. Most LP suppliers should have a resizing kit with a reamer & plugs that get pressed into the burner orifice & then get drilled to size. I wouldn't worry about the hole diameters in the burner tube. Most of the older units didn't require a burner change, just the (2) LP sized orifices (burner & pilot), the LP valve regulator head & the air shutter adjustment.
    OTOH, if you're trying to get heat out of this thing, it ain't gonna happen. It's not much more than a gas log, according to the rating plate. I see the words "decorative appliance"...You can't even put a thermostat on that baby - by code.
  4. deluzbee

deluzbee New Member

Loc:
    CA
    Thanks Bob that sounds like good news. I'm new to all of this so thanks for bearing with me. I really appreciate all of the help. If I was going to bring all of my components (except the fireplace and burners) to a place to get resized, what kind of business should I look for. Are there places/shops that do that kind of thing?
    If I cant find someone local, I'm willing to mail it out, as long as its affordable.

Thanks
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I'd say go to a local hearth shop or a local heating & plumbing outfit.
    A business that has to deal with these issues routinely should have the necessary tooling
    for making gas conversions...
  6. deluzbee

deluzbee New Member

Loc:
    CA
    Thank you. I found a guy who will do the conversion for $50. Much appreciated.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.