Need help finding the right stove/insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lentil said:
Would you guys like me to post pictures when it is done?

Oh yes.....In fact, it's almost getting to the point where if you DON'T post pictures...these folks will hunt you down and give you a beating.

haha, ok. Well I will definitely post a picture then. I'm guessing just the final work is wanted but I can post pics of the demo and install if that is of interest.

They just finished up the masonry work today. Just have to let it dry a bit so we can get the stove installed. We're really happy with the way it came out. The thumbnail cuts off a bit of the hearth, but if you click on the picture you can see the whole thing.

Attachments

• Need help finding the right stove/insert
    IMG_20120321_181248.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 179
Reactions: Armoured
It looks beautiful, who did the flue work? What did they do with the zc fireplace and with the original flue? Did they replace the whole pipe? It probably is fine, but I also wonder about the thimble. It doesn't look like class A so I am wondering about what is behind the stone and how close is the nearest combustible.

There will be an issue with the old mantel and clearances to the stove pipe. The stove pipe is going to need a minimum of 18" clear from any combustible.

Wallace Stoves did the work and I've been very happy with both them and the masonry company we used (esp. the masonry people -- they have been very nice, helpful and responsive). I think the stove company may contract out the installer as I paid him separately, but he seemed very good and was really helpful. The part sticking out below the mantle is an insulated stovepipe so they said it was a 6" clearance but they actually made it more like 8" so the heat would be less likely to discolor the mantle. Oh, it is covered with aluminum foil in the pic as I'm covering it to block the draft. Maybe that is why it looks wrong :)

I think they did it right. They removed the original fireplace and the old flue. totally gone. I'm looking at my estimate and here is what it says:

"System in the chase: wall radiation shield (thimble), class "A" tee, class "A" 18", 5x48" class "A" lengths, firestop, cap, storm collar
System in the room: stove adapter, 24" insulated, 12" slip insulated 90 (degree), 6" length insulated"

We were able to get both people over here at the same time to make the design so I think it should be a safe install. It was approved by the stove people.

Excellent. There was a big gap between... we have a zc fireplace and want an insert or a stove... and the finished product. Good to hear that you had pros working for you. They set you up with a double-wall pipe poking out of the wall. You will need to connect the stove using the same brand double-wall pipe. What stove is going to sit in this nice setup?

Excellent. There was a big gap between... we have a zc fireplace and want an insert or a stove... and the finished product. Good to hear that you had pros working for you. They set you up with a double-wall pipe poking out of the wall. You will need to connect the stove using the same brand double-wall pipe. What stove is going to sit in this nice setup?

I believe shes going with the T6, looking forward to the final install.

Ah yes, it did change rapidly. Everything was stalled for a long time and then it sort of happened in a rush. I thought I posted something describing it, but maybe it was buried too deep.

Most important: Our stove will be an alderlea T6!

We found a helpful masonry company, but the stove part was more difficult. The masonry folks took pity on me and took to the phone and were finally able to find someone eager to work on the project and meet together etc. to work on the design. Just under 2 weeks ago we met. I talked to the stove people about the different designs the masonry guys could do and ended up deciding on the design shown above. Turns out that since we did that and not an alcove, I had room for the Alderlea T6 (yay!!) so I chose that over the Jotul 600 (original plan). Since both companies were there, we were able to go through exactly what the masons needed to do to make it work for our wood stove . Also, they went through who would do what (demo, removal, etc.). They talked about what order it would need to be done and were able to plan which days they would come in as the timing was interlaced. I walked out of there with contract for the stove and a start date set. It was great.

If anyone is interested in what the project entailed, here's an overview:

day 1: All stone below the mantle removed. Raised hearth removed. backing etc. removed so when you looked you saw the zc fp, flue etc. inside 2x4s and the insulation
day 2: zc fireplace removed, old flue removed, new class A chimney installed as well as the stuff on top (cap and storm collar, I think). They also installed the insulated piece that would stick out through the masonry
day3: Add insulation. install backing of some kind (just plywood, I think. definitely combustible). They had an opening to connect to the outdoor air tube. It is next to an outlet for the fan, both of which look fine but will be blocked by the stove. Stonework done on the back. Then the Hearth. Then they trimmed the carpet.

once it dries: install stove and last bit of stovepipe. Should be quick.

And thanks for both the compliments and the help on this one :)

It took a while, but we're really happy with the way it came out. I can't wait to get a stove in there to start heating the house! I think it will be safe to put it in Monday or Tuesday.

Good choice. I can understand why you are eager to get the stove in. It looks like you'll still have plenty of time to try out the stove. We've been heating 24/7 for several weeks now.

If you don't mind my asking, where did you order the stove from?

Wallace's Stoves.

We're not quite done with the process, but we've been very happy with everything to date. The owner came out for the first visit and helped us get this design working and I'm very happy with how it came out. The installer, a sub-contracter I think, came to do the work and he was excellent.

And yes, definitely still time to use the stove. I woke up to a couple inches of snow on the ground this morning. I've lived in this area for 20+ years and I've never seen a winter where it snowed as often as it has this past year. Brrr.

It's in! We have our first break in fire going now. Here are the final pics:

Attachments

IMG_20120327_110745.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 121
    IMG_20120327_110807.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 118
Woo hoo, that looks fantastic. Just in time too. It's supposed to get chilly again for the next few nights.

It's in! We have our first break in fire going now. Here are the final pics:
beautiful install! I love the stone wall and the hearth, you did a great job and made a new centerpiece for your home.

Looks great!! Now you need some "stuff" for your hearth...at the very least the tools and a cricket :D

Thanks guys, we're pleased with the way it came out as well. It fits in well with the rest of the house and we are enjoying being able to heat the whole house. I'm sure I'm not operating it quite right, but it seems to be a very forgiving and easy to use stove so the house is already very comfortable. We have the ceiling fans on and the heat is getting almost everywhere. Two rooms are a little cool, but they are still fine and they may get a bit warmer once we've been heating longer. We're not going to get above 54 according anytime soon, according to the 10 day forecast, so even though it's late we'll still make good use of our stove this year.

ecclectic - Yeah, it does look a bit naked. We do need to get some fire tools, if only to stop my husband from having a heart attack when I muck about without the stove. What is cricket?

An actual cricket...well, a metal one anyway. Old folklore, a cricket on the hearth is good luck. My grandparents had one, I've always kept one on the gas stoves, and bought a little brass one for the Cottage. Most hearth shops have them.

An actual cricket...well, a metal one anyway. Old folklore, a cricket on the hearth is good luck. My grandparents had one, I've always kept one on the gas stoves, and bought a little brass one for the Cottage. Most hearth shops have them.

I've always wondered why I often see those brass crickets at hearth stores and on the occasional home woodstove. Thanks for the explanation.

Lol, I always thought it was a commonly held belief until I noticed only a few people ever had them in photos of their hearths. I don't think DH's family had one on theirs for their cone fireplace either. I "stole" the one I had on the berkshire at the Old House to put on the VF at the Cottage and bought another for the the hearth the Republic is on. Once we get it in, I'll have to get another for the Temco because I don't want to take both of them out of the Old House until we sell it. If I had thought of it at the time, I would have swapped a new one for the one at my grandparents place when the house was sold (the buyers specifed they wanted that, as well as the bellows :( )

Oh, and definately get those tools!! One stray log trying to roll out and you'll wish you had them! Well, those and leather stove gloves...Plus you'll want a shovel and a hod for the ashes (and a proper metal can to store them in outside). I have a vintage hod DH got me for Christmas, and just use the shovel from the tool set....I do have an old coal shovel from my grandparents place at the Old House somewhere too come to think of it. I should find that...

Status
Not open for further replies.