Need help from EPA ZC fireplace owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mol1jb

Feeling the Heat
Jan 8, 2014
Central IL
So in my future install I haven't entire ruled out an EPA ZC fireplace. My question resides with fan use of these units in general. I realize that I would have to run the fan most of the time to get significant heating results with a ZC unit.

However if there was a power outage would I be able to still provide reasonable heat with out the use of the fan? And I know that some of the ZC units have thermostatic fans in them. Is this for the sake of ease of fan control or would this be more of a safety feature to keep the unit cool when running it? Insight on this would greatly be appreciated.

You don't HAVE to run the blower in this type of unit. Most, if not all of them, have a manual
override so that the thermodisk is taken right out of the loop. That being said, heat will always rise
& using the blower just means it will rise at a greater distnce from the front of the unit.
Safety is built into the basic design & I wouldn't have any qualms about running it for an
extended period of time without the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.