1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need help identifying this stove

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by stovequestioner, Dec 11, 2012.

1. stovequestioner

stovequestioner New Member

Hello! I recently purchased a home and in the basement it had a disconnected stove. I believe it's a coal stove, but that's just a guess. Below are two pictures, one of the stove and one of the tag. It seems to be made by Agricola Furnace Company. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this unit, and what value it may have? The home has an oil stove that I'm keeping and would like to sell this one if it's worth anything. Thanks in advance for any help!

Picture of Stove (Sorry for the tilted picture)
    Picture of tag
    Inside top door
    Inside bottom door

EDIT: Added more pictures

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    its actually quite pretty though dated i suspect its from the 60's - 70's or earlier possibly much earlier. i googled the company and it seems there are several lawsuits mentioned i didnt delve into them but you can find them easily. certainly not new technology by any means. honestly as a functioning unit i have no clue as to its worth as a conversation piece for someone who is a collector of old stoves in this kind of shape it may be worth somthing. wish i could help ya more but i simply do not know anytning other than the little bit i found googling
  3. David Tackett

David Tackett Member

Loc:
    Waynesburg, Kentucky
    I used to live near Gadsden. Neat looking stove
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Very cool, thanks for sharing. I think it's a cabinet stove from the art deco era and would guess it to be from the 20's or 30's. Can you show us a shot of the interior of the firebox? Does it have shaker grates at the bottom?
    Dune likes this.
  5. stovequestioner

When I get home tonight I will update this thread with pictures from inside. I'm also going to scour it a little more to see if there are any other identifying marks.
  6. stovequestioner

7. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I would have guessed it is a coal stove if the crank handle on the lower door connected to a riddling grate. But I don't see this with the door open.
  8. stovequestioner

Hmm, I thought the top bin was for coal burning, and the bottom was to catch ashes. But admittedly, I have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about. :( Another reason why I'm here.
  9. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    You're correct. It is hard to tell from the pictures exactly what the tool on the top of the stove does or where it engages. The bottom front vent appears to have a triangle shaped socket. What does that do?
  10. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Definitely art deco era like Be-Green said and definitely coal. (it is nearly identical in design to the coal stove I grew up with, though ours was made in Europe) The hopper looks pretty good considering it's age. Not saying I would use the stove, but it may well have some value to the right interior decorator (not saying it isn't a viable stove either, but due to the poisonous nature of coal fumes I would want it to be rebuilt before using, unless it was abundantly clear that it was in safe condition.

Sorry, no idea on value.
    stovequestioner likes this.