Need help to rebuild confidence in safety...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.
concerned pellet,

First of all I'm glad to hear that the fire was stopped so that nobody was hurt.

Now, you don't inform us whether your Castile is a freestanding or an insert. If it's an insert then this thread posted in january 2009 is very relevant:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/33466/

SmokeyTheBear and webmaster Craig Issod both suggested that the hopperfire might have been caused by some double draft phenomena from the back of the stove.

Bo

concerned pellet said:
insert... same as the 09 thread...
does it have Pellet venting all the way up the chimney? If so what size and how long of a run?

You should note that in that case the root failure was likely the combustion blower.

There had also been an air flow modification bulletin issued for the stove prior to the burn back.

There are so many ways for alternate air flows to be set up.

Including the biggest and likely most overlooked one, that of the air intake and the nicety known as the air wash.

As Craig mentioned

The mass produced HVAC systems are more common but I have had even the best systems give fits.

Have had oil fired furnaces go crazy and cause issues.
Had a natural gas furnace spring a leak and nearly cause big trouble.

Any device that Burns anything can cause problems.

We as the owner/operator must be very vigilant and keep the equipment in top shape and make sure it is operating properly.

I have used Pellet stoves here at the ranch for 16 years now.
The house has an electric furnace and it has only been on once and that was an accident.

My feelings are, as long as you stay on top of the maintenance on the stoves they are very safe to use.

I burn Nut shells so creosote buildup in the vents is not an issue.

The folks using pellets need to keep the stacks clean and make sure to vacuum out the stove even the mechanical compartment in the back as it can and does collect dirt, dust and other crud.

Life is not totally safe no matter what, but as long as we keep a sharp eye on things its not bad.

The risks with using a Pellet stove are likely far better than driving to work every day in the car.

Another thing I will restate.

Keep your CO and smoke detectors changed out every couple years. These things are dirt cheap and there are many units that plug right into an outlet and have a battery backup.

Best

Snowy R

Status
Not open for further replies.