Need help trouble-shooting: CONVECTION FAN won't turn on after loud snap!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hotdawg said:
Don2222 said:
hotdawg said:
Morning Smokey. I'm very new at this pellet stove thing so I apologize for needing all this "hand-holding". I'm at a lose with what to do or where to even start. I started the stove up again this morning. Same results. Here's the sequence of when the stove goes into start up mode:

Turn on stove
Control board lights up
Combustion fan comes on
Auger starts feeding at feed rate of medium
Burnpot fills after 5-10 minutes
Igniter starts flame within this time frame
Temperature gets high enough, convection blower starts (usually within 3 minutes of big flame)

Stove now goes through all those steps except the last one where the convection blower won't start and fault light eventually comes on. So is the snap disc blown which is not telling the convection fan to turn on? Or the convection fan is just blown and has nothing to do with the snap disc? How do I check for a blown convection fan? Visually, the fan is in perfect condition nice and shiny, not a speck of dust, spins both ways without a problem. I saw your warning about handling electrical components in the stove. This might be over my head. Maybe I should take it slow and replace the snap discs? But I'm not sure if that's the faulty part or even if I can get my hands on a replacement. Help!

The snap disc takes over after the start-up cycle so the symptoms you describe are the symptoms of a blown snap disc!!

Hi Mr. Don, do you know which snap disc controls the convection blower? The Avalon Newport has a hopper snap disc and then a system snap disc. I'm not sure which one tells the convection blower to come on after the stove reaches desired temp. You're right though, it's most like the snap disc. I just tested the convection blower and it's running perfectly. Should I just get both of the snap discs if the dealer has it in stock, for just in case days??

Mrs. Dawg,
I don't know a snap disc from a bowl of rice krispies but it sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting here with the very generous help of the "forum elite". Maybe with what you've discovered you can relay this to your dealer and they can point you to the correct snap disc. Worth a try as it sounds like you've already been in contact with the dealer regarding this issue.

hotdawg said:
Don2222 said:
hotdawg said:
Morning Smokey. I'm very new at this pellet stove thing so I apologize for needing all this "hand-holding". I'm at a lose with what to do or where to even start. I started the stove up again this morning. Same results. Here's the sequence of when the stove goes into start up mode:

Turn on stove
Control board lights up
Combustion fan comes on
Temperature gets high enough, convection blower starts (usually within 3 minutes of big flame)

Stove now goes through all those steps except the last one where the convection blower won't start and fault light eventually comes on. So is the snap disc blown which is not telling the convection fan to turn on? Or the convection fan is just blown and has nothing to do with the snap disc? How do I check for a blown convection fan? Visually, the fan is in perfect condition nice and shiny, not a speck of dust, spins both ways without a problem. I saw your warning about handling electrical components in the stove. This might be over my head. Maybe I should take it slow and replace the snap discs? But I'm not sure if that's the faulty part or even if I can get my hands on a replacement. Help!

The snap disc takes over after the start-up cycle so the symptoms you describe are the symptoms of a blown snap disc!!

Hi Mr. Don, do you know which snap disc controls the convection blower? The Avalon Newport has a hopper snap disc and then a system snap disc. I'm not sure which one tells the convection blower to come on after the stove reaches desired temp. You're right though, it's most like the snap disc. I just tested the convection blower and it's running perfectly. Should I just get both of the snap discs if the dealer has it in stock, for just in case days??

Hello HotDawg

Usually it is the Low Limit Snap disc on or near the Exhaust Blower that controls the convection fan. After the stove is turned off this snap disc senses the exhaust temperature and keeps the convection blower going until the stove cools down. Does that make sense?

See my thread on Everything you want to know about Low Limit Snap Discs including where to get them cheap but were afraid to ask. LOL :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87801/

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

BTW. Good work on making the "Suicide Cord" they sometimes refer them as that because you need to be careful.
Here is the picture of the one I made.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81242/

LOL, no I'm not hibernating although this is prime snoozing time. I guess Mrs. Bear keeps feeding me so I can't hibernate and have to tend the animals and the stove.

Congrats on doing the suicide cord (patch cord) routine, you now have the title of Chief Flame Keeper as well as a new name Sparky.

I really do hate telling folks to do that, a lot of folks really shouldn't attempt it given some of the things I've seen over the years. Well it ain't the blower that leaves the wiring, snap disc, and perhaps a triac on the control board.

The snap disc is on the combustion blower housing if the information on Avalons web site is correct, and that is also where I'd expect it.

Now it is time to tend the chickens since it hasn't stopped snowing it is not time to do the snow blowing yet.

SmokeyTheBear said:
LOL, no I'm not hibernating although this is prime snoozing time. I guess Mrs. Bear keeps feeding me so I can't hibernate and have to tend the animals and the stove.

Congrats on doing the suicide cord (patch cord) routine, you now have the title of Chief Flame Keeper as well as a new name Sparky.

I really do hate telling folks to do that, a lot of folks really shouldn't attempt it given some of the things I've seen over the years. Well it ain't the blower that leaves the wiring, snap disc, and perhaps a triac on the control board.

The snap disc is on the combustion blower housing if the information on Avalons web site is correct, and that is also where I'd expect it.

Now it is time to tend the chickens since it hasn't stopped snowing it is not time to do the snow blowing yet.

You're awake! Thanks for all the help today! You're awesome! Hotdawg's coming home soon and guess what's burning??? LOL! He's going to die when he see's I have it running again AND the suicide cord I made! I'm impressed with myself! Mostly for not burning down the house or killing myself in the process! Thanks again for your time today!

hotdawg said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

You're awake! Thanks for all the help today! You're awesome! Hotdawg's coming home soon and guess what's burning??? LOL! He's going to die when he see's I have it running again AND the suicide cord I made! I'm impressed with myself! Mostly for not burning down the house or killing myself in the process! Thanks again for your time today!

Glad to hear the new beast is burning.

Did you replace the limit switch or was there a loose connection.

Don2222 said:
hotdawg said:
Don2222 said:
hotdawg said:

Turn on stove
Control board lights up
Combustion fan comes on

Hello HotDawg

Usually it is the Low Limit Snap disc on or near the Exhaust Blower that controls the convection fan. After the stove is turned off this snap disc senses the exhaust temperature and keeps the convection blower going until the stove cools down. Does that make sense?

See my thread on Everything you want to know about Low Limit Snap Discs including where to get them cheap but were afraid to ask. LOL :)
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87801/

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

BTW. Good work on making the "Suicide Cord" they sometimes refer them as that because you need to be careful.
Here is the picture of the one I made.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/81242/

Wow, your suicide cord looks really fancy! Mine is just a regular plug with connections on the end. I would have made it really colorful and pretty but the electric supply store only has basic colors :( I'll post a picture of it as soon as I figure out how to post images on this forum.

Mr. Hotdawg is coming home really soon and I can't wait for him to see the RUNNING STOVE! I'm not pulling out the wine just yet in case it decides to stop on me like yesterday. I ended up changing out both snap discs since I wasn't exactly sure if one or both was bad. Almost positive it's the system snap disc (also known as the low limit one). I'll hold on to them and try to figure out how to run a continuity? test on them to see if they work? I'm not sure if that's the right term but I'm pretty sure there's some sort of test I can run. Also went with the ceramic snap disc that Smokey likes. Cost a little more but I'm just happy the stove is working again AND there's an actual dealer near me that stocks Avalon stove parts. And yes I will post pics of the second stove otherwise I know, IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

SmokeyTheBear said:
hotdawg said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Glad to hear the new beast is burning.

Did you replace the limit switch or was there a loose connection.

I replaced both just for the piece of mind. There was also a slightly loose connection with one of the wires leading to the convection fan, otherwise everything is tight as can be and clean as a whistle! Thanks again Smokey.

Everyone who wants to do their own service work should have a simple multimeter. It can be used to check voltages and continuity of wire and snap discs. I bought a cheap digital one back when I started getting involved with model railroading again, now the only use it ever gets is occasional stove use and battery checking. My cat would do a number on my small trains and structures so that is all packed away these days.

ETA: Anytime.

Enjoy the heat.

Hey Hotdawg.... Glad it was only a Snap Disc!!! ;-) Enjoy the Heat!

hotdawg said:
Wow, your suicide cord looks really fancy! Mine is just a regular plug with connections on the end......

Yep, it doesn't have to be fancy:

Attachments

• Test Power cord 2.jpg
    Test Power cord 2.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 226
That's what the wife came up with. Very similar to that in fact. Not going to win any beauty contest but it sure did the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.