Need help understanding cold weather draft.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodpileOCD

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2011
Central NC
I know without a doubt that my stove drafts better in cold weather than in warm. With the door cracked I can tell simply by the jet engine sound that it makes in cold weather (like today). I understand the physics pretty well I think. So here is my question.

My understanding of this whole system is that a chimney should be designed to suck as much air as is possible out of the bottom. If it is an open fireplace there is no control over how much air is sucks other than the physics of the chimney. With a smoke dragon (which I burned for 20 years) and a slammer install (which I also had for 20 years) a little control. With EPA stoves the idea is to CONTROL the amount of air that is allowed to go through the stove and hence up the chimney. OK, that wasn't really my question but I'm getting to it. :blank:

If I have my stove air control closed as completely as it will allow, will it be drawing more air in cold weather than moderate weather? I assume with cold temps it is creating more of a vacuum 'trying' to pull more air but is it really?

With the draft moving quicker in cold weather, it will allow more air to pass through in a shorter period of time. One difference between smoke dragons and EPA approved units, is that even with the air lever closed on an EPA, it still allows more air to pass through than the old dragons would.

What is as important as the volume of air that enteres the stove is where the air enters the stove which is why the secondary air tubes make such a difference vs just dumping in more primary air.

pen

logger said:
With the draft moving quicker in cold weather, it will allow more air to pass through in a shorter period of time. One difference between smoke dragons and EPA approved units, is that even with the air lever closed on an EPA, it still allows more air to pass through than the old dragons would.

I understand this part in an uncontrolled situation. My question is if EPA stoves are designed to 'control' the amount of air moving through them, is there actually more air moving through the SAME 'controlled opening' in cold weather.

On your second point, are you comparing a shut down dragon and a shut down EPA stove? If so I would agree because I could come close to smothering the fire with the old Black Bart I had if I shut it completely down. Can't do that with my Buck Cat stove.

Pen, point taken on the air flow. I hear people talking about 'run away' stoves in cold weather and unless I leave the door cracked and really let er rip, I don't get anywhere near that feeling with the cat engaged ever. Last night just for grins, I did leave the door open for awhile to see what happened. Jet engine sound and door wanting to pull closed. Quit the experiment when I saw the liner connection starting to glow... :eek:hh:

Status
Not open for further replies.