Need Help w/ Breckwell P23 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevie73

Hearth Supporter
Nov 27, 2009
Fleetwood, NY
www.myspace.com
Hi everyone!

While waiting for our friend installer to come on Tuesday, I was reading the manual to our Breckwell Inset 23.
I came across two problems. It says in BOLD LETTERS to remove the insulation from under the blower before use...but when I went to look, there was no insulation. The insulation was all on the back side of the stove. DO I remove this insulation.? It looks like its sealed on and its color is a mixed white with grey. I dont want a fire!
And as far as the thermostat goes, it says to connect the wires to the 2 screws on the control board..but I dont see any wires in the back to do this. I really need to know the ins and outs of all this before my friend comes by on tuesday...the instructions Im sorry to the ones who are more technically talented are incredibly bad. Is there any inside secrets to the install or warnings that I need to know??? Thank you and any information will be greatly appreciated!

Seleus

Hey there. I had a look at the manual for the 2009 P23 available online.
Scanned over it quickly and didn't see anything about the insulation
so I can't offer anything there, but on the thermostat, did the stove
come with the thermostat? If so then it probably didn't include any wire.
I know mine was that way. Figure #23 in your manual shows the two screws on the
back of the control board where you need to connect the wires.
The other ends will connect to your tstat. Doesn't matter which
wire to which screw, as long as both are connected.
I can't recall what gauge wire but I think my manual may have
had a recommendation on that too. I had a roll of suitable wire out
in the garage so I used that but yeah you'll have to get your own wire.

Hey Xena,
The manual came with an extra paper that had some more stuff on it including the insulation removal. Did your stove come with insulation on the inside that had to be removed?
The stove didnt come with a thermostat, we're buying one. I saw the wire to connect to the bottom part of the thermostat but there are no wires that I see to connect to the control board for thermostat use.
thanks

My stove didn't come packed with any insulation nope.
Did you have a look at Fig #23? Well at least that is
how it is numbered in the online PDF manual.
There is no wire on the stove for a tstat.
It shows the two screws where you attach wire that you supply,
if I'm deciphering the illustration correctly.

I guess we supply the wire. The instructions are so vague though. Especially for a beginner- it doesnt say anything about buying or using your own wire. There is insulation almost everywhere inside the back of the stove. First it was a sheet of it in the hopper that we removed then some surrounding the back side of the stove, near the blower and even some on the right side.
Thanks

Mine didn't specify either but it was obvious to me since
there was no wiring in the box with the stove supplied tstat...
If you buy a thermostat it should come with everything
needed to connect.

May I suggest that you change the title of this thread to
include your stove make/model?
"Need help" is very vague and if you wish to bring in people
who are familiar with that stove then you really need to
add that to the topic title.

If you need to buy a wire for the thermostat, what gauge wire do you buy, how long..does it get attached to anything besides the thermostat? thanks

Breckwell will not supply the wire. they would not waist the money if most people are not going to use a stat.
18g thermostat wire is best. DO NOT USE BELL wire or Telephone wire

If you use a Wireless thermostat the wireless thermostat supplies a short wire to connect the board to the receiver

stevie73 said:
If you need to buy a wire for the thermostat, what gauge wire do you buy, how long..does it get attached to anything besides the thermostat? thanks
Just go to Home Depot or lowes, tell them you need solid core thermostat wire, and how many feet you need....they know what it is.

Just gets connected at the stat and the stove....that's it.

Thanks Macman.

Did your stove come with insulation on the inside wall? Mines did and it said to remove it from under the blowers before use but there was no insulation there, so Im confused!

stevie73 said:
Thanks Macman.

Did your stove come with insulation on the inside wall? Mines did and it said to remove it from under the blowers before use but there was no insulation there, so Im confused!

Yeah, I saw that in your earlier post....I have NO idea what to tell you about that. You might try sending a PM to Eric at Kinsman Stoves who is a member on this site (member name here is "kinsman stoves"), or maybe an email. He is a great guy, and is one of the "resident experts" on breckwells on this forum...he's been a dealer for them for quite a long time.

macman said:
stevie73 said:
Just did thank you Macman

When you talk to him, tell him MacMan (Pete) from the forum says hi!

Shameless plug...

stevie73 said:

Rod answered your question about the gauge in post #7.
Length depends on how far away from the stove
you wish to put the tstat. Wires connect from
tstat to stove and that is it.

As for the insul. packing, you can give a quick call to
your dealer and ask them to explain exactly what/how
to remove it.

Xena said:
Length depends on how far away from the stove you wish to put the tstat. Wires connect from tstat to stove and that is it........

Don't place the stat any closer than about 15' from the stove, and don't have it where the stove blows air directly toward it. If you have a particular area of the room, or an adjoining room, that you need to get up to a certain temp, place the stat near there.

Status
Not open for further replies.