Need help w/ cubic mini in a 4' high camper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

Jan 30, 2016
Oregon
Hi, I bought a cubic mini wood stove. It is 11 x 12 x 10.5, with a 3" flue hole, 6k-14k btu's. My camper is 8' long, 6' wide, and 4' high, made of plywood and 2x4's. The roof is designed to have no holes (Pacific NW), so I want the flue to exit the wall. The roof lifts up an additional 3' with telescoping tubes, so that also complicates a roof flue, and I want the stove to operate with the roof in the lowered position. I end up with around 33" from the top of the stove to the top of the wall where it will exit horizontally. The minimum recommended flue length from the mfgr is 40". I am awaiting a response from mfgr, who has been quick to respond, but I would still like a second opinion.

I could really use some help selecting the proper flue setup, as I am concerned with draft being negatively affected by the short flue. I have looked through the FAQ's, stickies, and searched, but my situation seems to be unique.

I am considering a 36" double walled stainless steel flue, and cutting it down to length for install, with a 90 degree stainless elbow, a wall pass through, a 12" insulated(?) tube to go through the wall and extend a bit horizontally, a dektite pipe flashing, and some kind of end cap that seals shut.

Does this sound like it would work? Or do I need a fan to force air into or out of the stove? Should I use a larger flue diameter to increase draft? Should I run the flue horizontally to increase flue length? Or is this just not going to work and I need to build my camper higher?

Carbon monoxide and smoke detector will be installed. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• my camper.jpg
    my camper.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 133
Looks like there are no actual installation guidelines or instructions on their website. That puts you pretty much on your own. Follow the tech specs and buy the optional shielding, bolt it down, and use marine wood stove venting fixtures. Definitely keep the horizontal sections to a minimum. They destroy draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.