need help with enviro windsor stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drtlvr

Feb 16, 2014
wiisconsin
www.facebook.com
Hi,
new to this site but have been a lurker for many years, I have a enviro windsor free standing stove, which has been very reliable since 2005 the only thing i dont like is the fact I cant control the blower fan separately , I feel that the stove is plenty hot on the #1 or #2 setting but i would like to have the fan blow faster, I'm pretty sure I could disconnect the fan from the mother board, and hook up a speed control, I would like to wire the speed control completely separate from the stoves power source I know I would have to shut it off manually but thats fine with me, i just don't want to hook it into the motherboard and fry something...lol
What I need to know is what type of speed control will work? hopefully it will be something I can get at a local hardware store. and ps this stove heats my 1200 square foot home all winter,its placed on the south east corner in my living room and on # 2 setting on a 10 degree night the bedrooms on the far north end of the house will be around 72-74 degrees. no complaints there.
thanks,
Tim

There was a mod for Quad Santa Fe that may be of interest. If the fan is controlled thru the use of a snap disc, provide separate power leg and control switch on its own. Worked well on the Santa Fe as they have a weak fan and low was just lame.

There was a mod for Quad Santa Fe that may be of interest. If the fan is controlled thru the use of a snap disc, provide separate power leg and control switch on its own. Worked well on the Santa Fe as they have a weak fan and low was just lame.
the fan is not controlled by any sensors just the mother board so i'm sure i can hook a speed control up just not sure what type

It is controlled by a sensor, just not directly. The sensor on the exhaust. Tracked that down by reading the troubleshooting guide. Still could do a direct powering if I read the schematic right just would not shut down if stove goes out or add a snap switch for that. Not talking rocket science. Food for thought. Totally separate system.

Reactions: drtlvr
I take it this is what you want for an end result

. CONVECTION BLOWER SPEED CONTROL (KNOB A): By adjusting the knob you will vary the
rate of airflow into the room by varying the speed of the convection blower. When you first start the
stove, it should be placed in the “OFF” position in order to heat the unit as quickly as possible. Once
the room has come up to temperature, the control may be set to a comfortable level.

If it is get a speed control
( rheostat ) from an fe3 and wire it in removing the old circuit or as per the fe3 wiring diagram

Easy to do. Use a fan control rated for 5 amps. Don't use a light dimmer. Put a fuse in line on the hot lead as you have now circumvented the one built into the board. Use a 6 amp fast blow fuse.

I found a ceiling fan speed control at Lowes. Works fine. There was just enough space behind the control panel to mount it after breaking off the pre-scored ears on the ends.

Easy to do. Use a fan control rated for 5 amps. Don't use a light dimmer. Put a fuse in line on the hot lead as you have now circumvented the one built into the board. Use a 6 amp fast blow fuse.
thanks I will try the fan switch with a fuse, I don't know why enviro did not build it that way. thanks again everyone for your help

thanks I will try the fan switch with a fuse, I don't know why enviro did not build it that way. thanks again everyone for your help
$$!

Status
Not open for further replies.