Need help with high heat sealant............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDad

Mar 29, 2016
Northeast, Ca
Hi guys, feeling kind of dumb here, I'm trying to clean out my combustion blower for maintenance but I sealed my internal vent with high heat silicone instead of the high heat foil tape and now am wondering how to remove this stuff. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!

There are 3 words for the removal of RTV
Scrape Scrape Scrape ::-)::-)::-)

Reactions: Ranger72
Putty knife and patience.

Welcome to the Forum MadDad! Sorry, but the only thing is patience, keep working it, give it love taps with a mallet, and scrape. When you get it apart, scrape off all remaining sealant and when you are ready to put it back together, may I suggest Hi-temp silicone, self-sealing tape? You can find it at any BBS, most hardware stores and all over the 'net. It also comes in different colors so it can blend in with the pipe color, or you can match your décor :). Very easy to put on and take off - and doesn't leave a residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.