Need Help with My CB 5648

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
Ok so we bought a log cabin a few months ago and I now find out from the previous owner that the water in the boiler was always brown. I asked him if he used corrosion inhibitor and he said yes. I dont even know why I asked him. So now I am looking for advice on the best way to flush the system before I fill it for the year. I dont even know where the drains are for this boiler so Im digging thru online manuals but they are generic for a number of different models. Any help would be appreciated.

Any boiler I have seen had a boiler drain valve sticking out the bottom of it somewhere - should be in sight. Unless it's behind a panel on the back or something.

Think that's about the extent of how I can help. No CB dealers in your area? You should likely consult with one on treatment procedure. Brown water makes me think he might have treated on startup & that was it - which likely means rusting going on inside.

Ok so I met up with a dealer while he was on a jobsite. He sold me some treatment to flush the system. I have to leave it in for a week and then drain and refill, test PH, add corrosion inh and retest. Ill see how it goes. I did fill the tank up and fired it up for the first time. I must be doing something wrong because it is very slow to raise the temp. The firs is very lazy and when I open the door the fire comes to life. Im not getting a good draft. I even added a 4ft section of pipe for a total of 8' now. I checked the intake manifold to make sure the solenoid is working, Everything looks ok but the fire is just lazy with bone dry pine. Im going to have to check to make sure there is no blockage, I cant think of anything else.

Very simple boiler. Soleniod pulls open a door with no fan to let air in to the fire. Just a flue pipe on the back to let out the smoke. Flue or intake is blocked by the sounds of it. Also since the fire is not force fed air it will be lazy until you have a coal bed going to help in the combustion. Make sure the fire is going well before you shut it right up.

It did better than I expected. I last checked on it at 7:30 last night and it was still climbing at 150 deg. When I woke up the temps were holding at 177. It wasnt very cold last night, lower 40's but I was really anxious to try the woodburner out. I only used about 1/3 of the firebox because I was only sending heat to the smaller furnace in the house, so I know when it gets real cold I can fill that baby up and use both to keep the house warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.