need help with new heritage hearthstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blue ridge blazing

Oct 10, 2009
Asheville, NC
Hello,

We are building a new home and bought a heritage hearthstone to install in a small L.R. We are trying to figure out the best flooring for the stove area. We have a stick built house over crawl space and right now we have the subflooring in place and we plan to use wood flooring in the L.R., but we know we must use some other material around stove area.

Is it best to put micore directly on subfloor and then duroc then ceramic tile with thinset between each layer? Or do you have any other ideas to keep this as safe, easy and cost effective as possible?

Also, can you use cultured stone on the wall behind the stove? Is it considered a noncombustible?

Thanks for suggestions,

You don't need to worry about whether the wall is combustible or not so long as it is outside of the minimum clearances to combustibles for the unit. So yeah, cultured stone is fine.

I couldn't find micore when I installed my heritage so I built a raised hearth and I've been happy with it. Note the owner's manual allows you to use "dead air space" for the R-value.

If I could have found micore then your layering looks like the best way to go.

Thanks for the quick response. It sounds like it is tough to find micore, but I am going to call around on Monday to see what I can find. We need to keep it as unobtrusive as possible due to path location.

As to the wall, I know with a heat shield and double wall stove pipe we get 7" to rear wall, but I am wondering if we can get closer to the rear wall if we have cultured stone on it or do we have to stay 7" no matter the wall material?

I appreciate the feedback!

You should definitely stay within the limits required by the manufacturer no matter what you have on walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.