Need help with new stove decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ape88

Oct 6, 2014
Oklahoma
In the process of building a new house. We are wanting to put in a wood burner, but do not know which brand to buy. We are building a single story 2400 Sq Ft house. I'm having trouble finding a local dealer other than Lowes or Homedepot. I'm looking for ease of use and durability. Our budget is around $1500 for the stove. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A lot of guys here love the englander nc30 from Home Depot. 2400sf for a ranch is a lot. If it's not too late you would have to kind a built your house around the stove for optimum air distribution if you want the stove be you primarily heat source. You would want the stove to be in the center of the house and have an open layout. Preferably interior chimney.

Last edited:
$1500 is a small budget for a big stove, but there are some good choices in that range. Hope there is also that amount saved for the chimney installation.

A lot of guys here love the englander nc30 from Home Depot. 2400sf for a ranch is a lot. If it's not too late you would have to kind a built your house around the stove for optimum air distribution if you want the stove be you primarily heat source. You would want the stove to be in the center of the house and have an open layout. Preferably interior chimney.
We are placing the stove in the center of the house and hope its open enough to move the air around. I will check on the Englander. Thanks for your feed back
$1500 is a small budget for a big stove, but there are some good choices in that range. Hope there is also that amount saved for the chimney installation.

I'm learning that my budget will be tested. We have budgeted for the chimney as well. I'm just not educated enough on the stoves yet to narrow it down to a few brands. Buck Stoves are popular in this area, but out of my range. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's going to depend in part on how much work is put into sealing and insulating the house. But a starter would be to look at the Englander 30NC, Englander Madison and the Drolet Baltic or HT2000

Location in the home will also have an impact on the cost of the flue system. The most straightforward and economical way to install the wood stove is with a flue that goes straight up from the flue collar through the structure to daylight. This is cheapest, most efficient, and easiest to clean (sweep). Whenever you start adding offsets, you drive up the initial cost, you adversely affect the draft, and you complicate maintenance. That said, most installations probable are not straight up, for any number of reasons. A couple of 45°s in the stove pipe isn't a total game changer, but start adding offsets in Class A chimney pipe you're beginning to talk real $$$. Straight up is ideal...almost straight up is almost ideal. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.