need help with OAK Cleaning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
feeling dumb here, but how do you remove this cap[pictures] for cleaning out the exhaust pipe or at
least to look inside.. only burned ton so far but like to see inside or clean if needed.
I pull on the handle.. tried twisting but doesn't come out.. Olympia OAK kit installed my Harman dealer.

Attachments

• IMG_1893.JPG
    IMG_1893.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 144
Kinda confused between your thread title and the body.

Your OAK probably doesn't need cleaning unless critters have gotten in there. If it does, idk. Maybe stick a coat hangar through the intake and work it around a little, then disconnect it from the stove and leaf blow it out?

Your exhaust clean out should twist off. Try giving it a quick shot of PB Blaster and letting it sit a while. Try tightening it A BIT and see if it moves. Work it back and forth a little and let the Blaster work.

Kinda confused between your thread title and the body.

Your OAK probably doesn't need cleaning unless critters have gotten in there. If it does, idk. Maybe stick a coat hangar through the intake and work it around a little, then disconnect it from the stove and leaf blow it out?

Your exhaust clean out should twist off. Try giving it a quick shot of PB Blaster and letting it sit a while. Try tightening it A BIT and see if it moves. Work it back and forth a little and let the Blaster work.
ok...Sorry... calling the whole exhaust system OAK.... The whole outside piping was only installed in November..Thought that cap would pop right out.
not like it's rusted or anything... maybe not pulling hard enough...don't know if it's threaded or just forced into the pipe. . didn't want to bend that handle ...

Might be screws holding it

My guess is there's just ash that's worked itself into the cap/pipe mating areas. Try the penetrating oil. You could also try removing it while your stove is running. Might be easier when everything is warm.

Remember, its only gonna turn so far, then you'll have to pull. Maybe an 8th of a turn from locked to unlocked.

Did ya get it?

A thin layer of anti seize compound may help in future removals.

Did ya get it?

A thin layer of anti seize compound may help in future removals.
haven't gone back to it yet...
only couple months old but I'll try the P oil....Called the dealer but they closed early today.

haven't gone back to it yet...
only couple months old but I'll try the P oil....Called the dealer but they closed early today.
Nice. Good luck with it. Also, don't get that oil on your siding! Petroleum based stuff is bad news for vinyl siding....and that includes most bug sprays/killers you may use in the summer. Just a little additional info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.