Need help with old VC Dutchwest catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-fan-atic

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2010
Long Island, NY
I recently retired my 20+yr old VC dutchwest cat and bought a new non-cat insert. The old cat wasnt cruisin' like she used to (even with a new combuster) and I noticed that the top cover wasnt fitting right anymore. It seems the cement got old and gave out a bit on the right , rear sidewall, causing the sidewall to 'slip' up a bit during a small maintenance move. Im guessin that she has some small air leaks, b/c even with a new combuster, she was burnin up a full load of oak in just a few hours. Does anyone know what ELSE could be causing this lackluster performance? The liner is relatively new, and in great shape. There are no VISABLE cracks/leaks, and all the gaskets are tight too. Im out of ideas. Any input would be apprieciated.

Hi -

I'm not experienced with this stove. However when looking for air leak/wind noise in cars we would run the HVAC blower on High and start out by running our damp fingers around the vehicle openings. It felt cool where the air was leaking out. If need be one could run a vac hose to a one or two liter soda bottle and cut/duct tape it to the vent to temporarily put some low pressure air in the stove.

Some folks have had luck just shutting a bright light in the stove. With the lights out they can see gaps in the mastic/gasketing.

I have heard, but not seen, that a lit cigerette eased along all the joined surfaces with a fire burning can be used to identify leaking joints.

I have a rebuild of my 7 year old VC Resolute Acclaim on tap for this weekend.

Where in LI? I married a Wantagh girl. Used to run around Montauk a bit.

ATB,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.