Need help with pipe identification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wlat

Jan 12, 2014
georgia
Have just purchased this home built around 1990 and I want to build a real wood fire in the fireplace but I'm unsure as to what type of pipe the chimney has , It appears to be 12" outer diameter and looks galvonized ? I cannot find any labels or brand name anywhere on piping.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 68
Can't tell from that picture. A picture of the fireplace might help for an ID. It could be air-cooled fireplace pipe. Look for a label around the opening of the fireplace that identifies it. Is there any gas piping or are there gas logs in it currently?

Can't tell from that picture. A picture of the fireplace might help for an ID. It could be air-cooled fireplace pipe. Look for a label around the opening of the fireplace that identifies it. Is there any gas piping or are there gas logs in it currently?

No gas piping in or around it or the house that I have seen, Currently they just have an electric insert stuck into the fireplace that is moveable, In shop attached to house is the fireplace grate with wood on it and if i wipe around behind the electric insert i get soot that seems as if fires were lit in it but I don't want to take any chances, LOL

It could be fine for wood burning. What you'll want to do is get it cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep. If it gets a clean bill of health then you will be good to go. The only obstacle then could be finding dry wood. You are going to have much greater success burning and keeping a clean chimney with well seasoned wood.

Here is where to find a certified sweep in your area. Type in your zip code.
www.csia.org and www.ncsg.org

Here are a few pics of brand of fireplace and inside and outside pic of it

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 87
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    296.1 KB · Views: 85
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    202.8 KB · Views: 73
This is a standard Superior fireplace. FAK-1500 on the label is for the fan kit. There should be another label lower riveted along the opening edge of the fireplace. The model will be something like BC-36.

Status
Not open for further replies.