Need help with tree I.D.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsmccracken83

Sep 27, 2013
Edgewood,NM
Hello. I got some wood from a tree service yesterday and am unsure of what it is. Also at the time I didn't even think to take a picture of the leaves so that's no help. When talking to the guy he said he thought it was poplar but it looks different than the poplar that I have in my yard. Either way it will be burned but would like to know what it is, thanks.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 132
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    365.2 KB · Views: 137
  • photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    351.9 KB · Views: 121
Cottonwood or aspen huh? I thought it was something of the poplar type. Well it's going to get burned no matter what. It was easy to get and mostly cut to size so I couldn't pass it up.
When it comes to btu's I guess poplar would have been the best out of the above options, right?

You were perhaps thinking of tulip or yellow poplar and that indeed is much different. I go along with Slim with the cottonwood. Once it dries, and it will dry relatively quick, it will burn and burn hot. You'll get plenty of heat from it but the fires just won't last as long. You'll do fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.