Need help with VC 44 insert. Brand New to Forum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kristoff

Jan 20, 2019
Brand new to the forum & would like some advice. I own a 1983 Vermont Casting 44. I have used this nice little stove for about five years with no issues. My chimney is not lined. It has a 12" slammer attachment that vents into chimney. The dampener adjustment rod is seized in the open position. Called my local store in Evansville, IN to look into fixing dampener adjustment rod, replacing fans, firebrick, & gaskets. They picked up my stove to take to shop. I am aware of the $300 charge to do so. Got some really bad news- dampener adjustment parts are not available, fans not available, they said they can't replace fire brick because it's not UL approved. I am told I need to have my chimney lined with 25 feet of 8" pipe to be up to code. I am informed of an estimate of $1129.84 to rebuild the old heffer. This price does not include the dampener (that might not even be available) but does include gaskets, two blower fans, repaint, pick up & delivery. Also am hit with a $1729.98 estimate for the 8" chimney liner for a 25 ft run. I was also told that they shouldn't have even taken stove out of my home because it's not UL approved & they can't legally re-install. The office guy / sales guy gave me three options. Rebuild @ $1129.84 plus $1729.98 for liner for a grand total of $2859.12. New Enerzone 2.3 insert & liner at $3999.51 or a Buck Stove 80 cat & liner for $5000.51. I get the chimney liner on all options. This Vermont Casting 44 has been a wonderful little heater for my kitchen & living room area. I love the old school look, big glass, ornate surround, and side mount blowers, so it's real difficult for me to say goodbye to this stove. It's not a primary heat source as I live in Southern Indiana. I am really interested in fixing what I have, not buying new.
I love sitting by the fire!

Brand new to the forum & would like some advice. I own a 1983 Vermont Casting 44. I have used this nice little stove for about five years with no issues. My chimney is not lined. It has a 12" slammer attachment that vents into chimney. The dampener adjustment rod is seized in the open position. Called my local store in Evansville, IN to look into fixing dampener adjustment rod, replacing fans, firebrick, & gaskets. They picked up my stove to take to shop. I am aware of the $300 charge to do so. Got some really bad news- dampener adjustment parts are not available, fans not available, they said they can't replace fire brick because it's not UL approved. I am told I need to have my chimney lined with 25 feet of 8" pipe to be up to code. I am informed of an estimate of $1129.84 to rebuild the old heffer. This price does not include the dampener (that might not even be available) but does include gaskets, two blower fans, repaint, pick up & delivery. Also am hit with a $1729.98 estimate for the 8" chimney liner for a 25 ft run. I was also told that they shouldn't have even taken stove out of my home because it's not UL approved & they can't legally re-install. The office guy / sales guy gave me three options. Rebuild @ $1129.84 plus $1729.98 for liner for a grand total of $2859.12. New Enerzone 2.3 insert & liner at $3999.51 or a Buck Stove 80 cat & liner for $5000.51. I get the chimney liner on all options. This Vermont Casting 44 has been a wonderful little heater for my kitchen & living room area. I love the old school look, big glass, ornate surround, and side mount blowers, so it's real difficult for me to say goodbye to this stove. It's not a primary heat source as I live in Southern Indiana. I am really interested in fixing what I have, not buying new.
I love sitting by the fire!
Well you need a liner without question.

They could have told you all that BEFORE taking the stove and charging $300 for that.
They didn't need it in their shop to tell you they wouldn't replace brick in a non-UL approved stove.
They could have told you what parts were not available with it setting place.
There are plenty of retrofit blowers for all sorts of installations available. Woodman's Parts Plus is the place to start.

You need a liner for any Insert being installed.
Yes, it would be grandfathered as an existing installation before a UL approved stove was required. A new installation requires the stove to be UL approved. It should have had a liner connected long ago.

The frozen rod can probably be broken loose if they have not done any damage to it. Kroil, or PB Blaster soaking a week or so and a little heat does wonders.
Firebricks are very cheap from most masonry supply stores if they are the common flat bricks.
The damper assembly at Woodman's is $260, not worth putting that kind of money into it in my opinion.
You will be much better off with a newer stove and 6 inch insulated liner.

The stove is probably salvageable, but it is a project.

Reactions: Kristoff
I have a damper rod if you need it, but I would replace the unit. 44's were brilliant inserts, but there are too many discontinued parts for it to be a reliable investment. Sorry.

Agree with coaly they should have realized some of those parts are not available before they came out and got the insert. I believe that insert is UL listed. Not sure about that particular model but in the early days they used Arnold Green labs to test to UL standards. I wonder if someone meant not EPA listed After saying all that can’t see that insert being worth rebuilding