Need help with wood I.D, I think its Hickory

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

catjax7071

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2009
New Albany, In
Hi there everybody, I would like your help with this wood I.D, I think this is Hickory, it looks very close to Shagbark but it has more brown than gray, please help me confirm, thanks for the help

Attachments

• I think this is Hickory 001.jpg
    I think this is Hickory 001.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 322
By the looks of things (an actual ingredient I need is weight confirmation) I would say silver maple. The grain looks wrong to be hickory.

I agree the grain looks a little off, but the bark on the right split definetely looks like Pignut hickory. Looks like its been laying around a while. Smoke some pork with it and see if it tastes like bacon.

The bark on the right split definitely looks like some kind of hickory.

can't really tell.

bark on split on right does kind of look like hickory

split on left looks punky

Can't see the grain, but it's light colored and a bit stringy, so it could be shagbark. Bark on right definitely looks "shaggy" to me.

Below is some shagbark from my wood pile.

Attachments

• Shagbark-Hickory.jpg
    Shagbark-Hickory.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 267
Status
Not open for further replies.