Need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stella85

Feb 14, 2021
Indiana
I have an older stove with a blower on it to blow air around the outside to circulate hot air my question is it has some sort of insulation in it the air blows through to transfer heat an was wandering what this is I need to replace it

A picture of what you have would help.

Please post some pictures of the stove and the areas you are talking about.

Maybe
1200°F.

Mineral Wool is a thermal and acoustical insulation that can withstand operating temperatures up to 1200°F. Buy Insulation Products carries a wide variety of high temperature mineral wool insulation products including mineral wool boards, FRK faced boards, and FRK Faced Flexible Wraps (Enerwrap).

We need to see the application and location before suggesting anything.

I threw it all out mice had a bunch of nests in it but it looked like fiberglass insulation
Well that will smell good when you get air flow through it again. Acorns and other goodies too?
It's common for kids to lose plastic things that melt in there too.

Single wall stoves radiate heat by radiation. The BTU output is dependent on the temperature of each square inch of surface area. So the size of the surface area and it’s temperature determine output.
The other way heat is transmitted to the heated area is by convection. That is when the firebox has an outer shell around it with an air space for the heated air to escape. The blower aids in removing more heat through convection.

A Fireplace Insert is a inner firebox with airspace between the inside and outside walls like you’re describing. They are made to install within a existing fireplace to extract the heat without radiating into the masonry mass.

Not sure what you have. You’re describing a stove that heats with convection. Is there a name on the front or on a tag? Does it have legs or was it made to sit directly on a hearth? There are different reasons for holding heat in a firebox for a cleaner burn, or extracting as much as possible.

Their is no name on it it sits on legs an heats by convection the blower is mounted on the back an it has a sliding door on each side to regulate the amount of heat coming out each side an it also comes out the front aswell I will take it apart again an make sure I can’t find a tag on the inside this is a old stove an worked great until the mice made it their home now with out the material inside to act as a heat transfer it is more or less scrap metal