Suburban Woodchief CC6-85 not blowing hot air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mista'

Dec 14, 2023
Hope, AR
I have a Suburban Woodchief that is NOT blowing hot air. I have stoked this thing, fire raging but not a significant amount of heat coming from the unit. The fan is blowing, although only on ONE setting, but it is working. At least I think it is. Due to it's age, no one knows a thing about it. Please help.

20231214_123006.jpg 20231214_123015.jpg 20231214_123030.jpg

The fan setup should be pretty easy to troubleshoot.

There are only 3 pieces or so to the electrical system. The fan itself, a rheostat, and maybe a thermal switch.

I’d try wiring the fan strait to the cord. It should run. If not, that’s your issue.

If it doesn’t run, look at the switch(s). Cut 1 switch out at a time to see if that is the failed part.

It could be that the fan prop or squirrel cage is free-spinning on the motor shaft. If so, check for a set screw on the fan blade to tighten so that it can't do this.

I climbed my fat tail behind the heater and found the open air passage, so I welded it shut. The squirrel cage is turning and blowing air. When I reinstalled the blower and built a raging fire, it was hot at the top and cooler at the bottom. Cool air can be felt blowing from the bottom. The area where the air is passing through is an open area. Again, please help.

Open air passage 2.jpg Open air passage 3.jpg Open air passage.jpg cold air video - 1703210156011.gif running squirrel cage - 1703210271027.gif

It's an odd arrangement. It looks like right below the blower outlet at the back, bottom of the stove there is an open channel. Is the air blowing out of there? I'm wondering if there is a cover plate missing there? Or is it designed to pull heat from the backside of the firebox and then blow it out low across the floor? If so, that's a weak design, especially if there are cold concrete floors.

If all else fails it might be easier to remove the front panel and point a table fan at the stove.

Last edited:
That looks a lot like the Ashley Wonderwood/coal circulator stoves, the blower on those wasn't of much account either...a small fan blowing on the front of the stove would do more...