1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need Insert Advice

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by albert1029, Dec 4, 2012.

1. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    I'm shopping for a fireplace insert. I would appreciate any info I can get about your preferences and experience with inserts.I am contracting a very reputable company to do the work. I don't have any idea of the different brands and specs. What about a wood stove in the hearth? Don't know about that since the wife doesn't like the idea of an external pipe from stove to chimney. I'll be looking around but I thought this would be the best place to start as I value the opinion of experienced folks who frequent these forums. Here are a couple of pictures...

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Bluerubi

Bluerubi Member

Loc:
    Auburn, NH
    I love my VC merrimack for heat output, but hate the fan noise. It also cost a small fortune to purchase, so in retrospect I wish I bought a big freestanding stove, and took the remaining money to extend the hearth to accomodate it. Lesson learned.
    albert1029 likes this.
  3. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

You firebox seems to be very shallow. You might want to go with a hearth stove. You won't necessarily have to see the pipe too much from the stove to the chimney, the stove would hide most of it, I wouldn't let that scare you away from a hearth stove. The pipe could be black and you won't even notice it. One concern with a hearth stove is proper floor protection in front of the stove.
    albert1029 likes this.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Agreed, that looks like a tall, narrow and shallow fireplace. It could be hard to find an insert to fit. If so a freestanding stove with a full liner up the existing chimney may be the best option. The liner would not be visible.

Tell us about the house and area you want to heat. How large is the area being heated? What are the fireplace dimensions?
  5. albert1029

albert1029 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwestern PA
    I also posted this thread on the Wood Shed forum and got more responses....you can see it there with dimensions and comments...thanks...